Does your rehydrated yeast foam up a little bit?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Elysium

Reaction score
I have come across this info that rehydrated yeast slightly foam.....now my question is "why doesnt mine foam at all?"

I use safale US-05 and follow the instructions of Chris White (author of the book "Yeast"). I normally use bottled water that I boil before use.

Any thoughts? Or people who got good results and the yeast didnt foam at all?

P.S. So far sanitization was not 100% okay.....I dont know if that might have been the problem.

I have never seen any noticeable foam on re-hydrated dry yeast. If you aerated it, which is not recommended, it would likely have foam.

Bob

I usually get some foaming with US-05 when I rehydrate. It's not like a krausen but there is some foam that I then stir into a creamy slurry and pitch.

I get at least a little foam on the surface when rehydrating most yeast strains, but some foam much more than others.

I have never seen any noticeable foam on re-hydrated dry yeast. If you aerated it, which is not recommended, it would likely have foam.

Bob

I guess it gets a bit aerated when you stir it a bit, but why wouldnt it be okay to add air? I dont aerate it though, just asking.

+1, aeration won't hurt anything while the yeast rehydrates. Nothing to worry about.

Back