Does yeast work this fast?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

all-world1

Reaction score
This is my first time using a yeast starter.

Made the starter one evening, 38 hours later starter had cleared with the yeast layer on the bottom. Immediately pitched the yeast into the wort and foaming started approx 6 hours later. It appears that most of the fermentation has been completed in 15 hours, which is the fastest fermentation I've ever experienced. Is this normal for a yeast starter?

Healthier, larger pitches will generally finish within a day or 2 depending on a ton of factors. The right combo will get you to 15 hours. High ferm temp, low gravity, simple sugars. Normal? Not really, but certainly common.

I can see a low gravity beer finishing that quickly. Are you saying 15 hours from when you pitched the starter? Did you measure gravity with hydrometer? What makes you so sure that it's done fermenting?

Healthier, larger pitches will generally finish within a day or 2 depending on a ton of factors. The right combo will get you to 15 hours. High ferm temp, low gravity, simple sugars. Normal? Not really, but certainly common.

At first glance, it looks and smells good, so I think I'll just let it go for another 2 days or so and then check the gravity. Thanks for your comments.

Back