Does Underpitching US05 = Low flocculation?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sco999

Reaction score
Hello fellow Brewers.
I brewed a batch of a 1.039 OG blonde ale about 2 weeks ago.
I made a 2 quart starter with some US05 slurry. Normally I wash my yeast very well so I know that I am pitching only the creamy goodness. On this batch I was pressed for time so I just grabbed a couple of quart jars full of slurry and let them settle. Then I poured off the yeast layer that had settled on top (trub on the bottom). I drew a sample to test FG and there is a ton of yeast that has not dropped out yet. The sample has the banana flavor to it. Fermentation temps were in the low to mid 60's. I am wondering if the banana flavor, and more particularly the low flocculation, is due to under-pitching.
Thanks!!

I seem to keep hearing folks on here talking about fruity flavors with S-05 and low 60's temps... do you think maybe that yeast likes closer to 70 for a clean flavor? Just wondering. I've never used S-05 but use WLP-001 a good bit (in a closet that stays 68F) and am considering trying S-05 instead as it's supposedly the same basic strain. It'd be nice to skip the starter and pay half the price for yeast at the same time. I'm still nervous about it though.. There is a stupid part of me that is still convinced that liquid yeast is somehow better... no evidence.. hence it's stupid.

Its the same strain just treated differently. The drying process must make some difference in the flavor profile. Under-pitching doesn't necessarily mean low floccing. That strain in general likes to hang around longer, cleaning up the beer more. That is partly why it is a nuetral, clean strain.

How many generations of yeast have you done from your original 05?

A pack of 05 still costs me $2.40, can't see the point in reusing that yeast.

Basic math really.

-bn

OK, how many generations did he do? Trying to figure out if he overstayed his welcome with this multi generational slurry.

I know if I did a 1.039 beer with a packet of 05 it would be very drinkable in 2-3 weeks without Banana flavors and I'd not have to post asking why?

What is basic math have to do with anything here?

Back