Does this wheat recipe look okay?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Johnnyhamer

Reaction score
Just threw this together as a base for a chocolate strawberry wheat.

2# wheat dme
1# light dme
2# german wheat malt
1# carapils
.5# Crystal 60

.8oz Tettnager @60
.5oz Cascade @5

abv is 4.31% the ibus are a little on the low side at 13

Thoughts? This is only my second time making a recipe from scratch. Just wondering if this is too much wheat and what changes would you make?

Well you could definitely skip the carapils with all that wheat and the crystal grain in there. Carapils is a crystal grain that has been malted in such a way so that it gives you mostly dextrine and not much else.

Wheat already gives you a lot of body and head retention, and you also have some crystal 60 for color (I assume for color?) which will add to your body and head retention as well.

I'd probably use more light DME as well since such a large portion of your fermentables is from wheat. I wouldn't personally go over 60% wheat.

But it's your beer, so brew as you like!

If you are using Briess Bavarian wheat DME (the only I'm familiar with) it has been made with a base malt, and states you can use it alone, which I have with good results.
No real need for the Carapils as was stated.
I'm not familiar with the German wheat extract.
Looks OK otherwise.

As was mentioned wheat extracts tend to be in the range of 50-60% wheat with the rest barley (both are base malts). So as is you're probably about 52-57% wheat depending on the brand of extract, which is a typical percentage. You will have to mash the wheat malt, is that what you're planning? I agree with the others you don't need the carapils, you could just replace with a lb of pilsner or pale malt.

Back