Does this starter look okay...?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

laxsoccerguy

Reaction score
Hey everyone!

I stopped the stirplate today before work and just got home. This is what my starter looks like now - (before i shut it off..nothing was up top and it just had the tiny bubbles you see around the ring now) - do you think this will be okay to pitch? or is it infected?

thanks everyone!
IMG_0982.jpg

IMG_0983.jpg

laxsoccerguy said:
Hey everyone!

I stopped the stirplate today before work and just got home. This is what my starter looks like now - (before i shut it off..nothing was up top and it just had the tiny bubbles you see around the ring now) - do you think this will be okay to pitch? or is it infected?

thanks everyone!

How long was it on the stir plate?

It's the saison III from white labs last year... It's been in my fridge since november

laxsoccerguy said:
It's the saison III from white labs last year... It's been in my fridge since november
That's a bit old man. I'd try another starter. Cell count may have been a bit low because of its age.

That's a bit old man. I'd try another starter. Cell count may have been a bit low because of its age.

I kind of disagree on this. The picture looked normal to me. And anyway the whole point of starter is to generate new cells. Since I don't think it's infected, the only real "danger" of using the older yeast is winding up with fewer cells than you would if you had made a starter from very healthy yeast. But you can fix that by stepping up the starter you just made--i.e., decant the liquid from your first starter, and now make a second starter of a larger volume.

What kind of beer is this for? And have you already made the wort for it?

motorneuron said:
I kind of disagree on this. The picture looked normal to me. And anyway the whole point of starter is to generate new cells. Since I don't think it's infected, the only real "danger" of using the older yeast is winding up with fewer cells than you would if you had made a starter from very healthy yeast. But you can fix that by stepping up the starter you just made--i.e., decant the liquid from your first starter, and now make a second starter of a larger volume.

What kind of beer is this for? And have you already made the wort for it?

Disagree to what?

Maybe I misread your post. If by "try another starter" you mean repeat the process using the results of this starter (step it up), then we agree. I thought you meant start over with new yeast.

Back