Does this starter look okay...?

HomeBrewTalk.com - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Community.

Help Support Homebrew Talk:

laxsoccerguy

Reaction score
Hey everyone!

I stopped the stirplate today before work and just got home. This is what my starter looks like now - (before i shut it off..nothing was up top and it just had the tiny bubbles you see around the ring now) - do you think this will be okay to pitch? or is it infected?

thanks everyone!
IMG_0982.jpg

IMG_0983.jpg

dumsboa09

Reaction score
laxsoccerguy said:
Hey everyone!

I stopped the stirplate today before work and just got home. This is what my starter looks like now - (before i shut it off..nothing was up top and it just had the tiny bubbles you see around the ring now) - do you think this will be okay to pitch? or is it infected?

thanks everyone!
How long was it on the stir plate?

OP
L

laxsoccerguy

Reaction score
It's the saison III from white labs last year... It's been in my fridge since november

dumsboa09

Reaction score
laxsoccerguy said:
It's the saison III from white labs last year... It's been in my fridge since november
That's a bit old man. I'd try another starter. Cell count may have been a bit low because of its age.

motorneuron

Reaction score
That's a bit old man. I'd try another starter. Cell count may have been a bit low because of its age.
I kind of disagree on this. The picture looked normal to me. And anyway the whole point of starter is to generate new cells. Since I don't think it's infected, the only real "danger" of using the older yeast is winding up with fewer cells than you would if you had made a starter from very healthy yeast. But you can fix that by stepping up the starter you just made--i.e., decant the liquid from your first starter, and now make a second starter of a larger volume.

What kind of beer is this for? And have you already made the wort for it?

dumsboa09

Reaction score
motorneuron said:
I kind of disagree on this. The picture looked normal to me. And anyway the whole point of starter is to generate new cells. Since I don't think it's infected, the only real "danger" of using the older yeast is winding up with fewer cells than you would if you had made a starter from very healthy yeast. But you can fix that by stepping up the starter you just made--i.e., decant the liquid from your first starter, and now make a second starter of a larger volume.

What kind of beer is this for? And have you already made the wort for it?
Disagree to what?

motorneuron

Reaction score
Maybe I misread your post. If by "try another starter" you mean repeat the process using the results of this starter (step it up), then we agree. I thought you meant start over with new yeast.

Latest posts