does this sound normal?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shamukaiser

Reaction score
New Brewer here....
Question, I'm making a Holiday Spiced Ale; Primary Ferm. 5 days, Original Specific 1.060.... Just moved to Secondary Ferm. Final Specific 1.012... Alcohol Level 2.0 %

Do these numbers sound correct? Has the fermentation ended? Will the beer gain more alcohol content in the secondary?

Ferm temp 68%

Thanks

Shamu

Shamukaiser,

An FG of 1.012 is pretty good. But I am a bit concerned that it's only been fermenting 5 days. It's possible to ferment that quickly, but it won't hurt to give it a few more days unless you just really want to bottle this weekend. I'd say give it a few days and then bottle if you get the same reading 3 days in a row. Good luck and let us know how it turns out.

Darren

It's not 2% alcohol- there's 2% remaining potential alcohol, which means nothing!

The formula for calculating ABV is this:

(og-fg) x 131= ABV.

So, in your case:

1.060-1.012 x 131 = 6.3 % ABV. (As Iordz had, but that's the formula to get there!)

It might drop a couple more points in the clearing tank, but it's essentially done. I'd let it sit about two weeks in the clearing tank, then bottle it if the sg stays the same three days in a row after that.

Thanks guys for the advice... glad to hear that I seem to be on track. I plan to let the beer sit in the secondary for another 3-5 days (but I wil continue to check sg)
Thanks for the formula... very helpful....

Is there any risk of sitting in the secondary too long? I was reading about yeast life, etc... and I was wondering if I waited too long would there not be any yeast left for carbonation?

Shamu

I wouldn't wait longer than say, 4 months, to bottle unless you can't help it. A couple of months is fine.

If you were only going to leave it in the clearing tank for a week, there really isn't any reason to do it. Usually I leave mine in the clearing tank for 2-3 weeks before bottling. If I plan on bottling my beer earlier than 3-4 weeks or so after brewing, I'd just leave it in the primary fermenter. There isn't any reason to rack it and move it if it's not going to have the time to clear.

Alright bud, you talked me into it... I'll leave it in the secondary for 2-3 weeks....

Just brewed my second batch tonight... Pumkin Ale. Forgot to take Original gravity.. D'ogh! I'm guessing if/when it gets down to 1.012-14'ish... watch it closely.. and when I see no change, bottle it?

I tried hydrating the yeast this time... we'll see what happens.

Shamu

Back