does this seem right? (OG value)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nickmpower

Reaction score
So the SG of the apple juice i use is enough for a 6% abv. I added 4 cups of sugar (a little less then 2 lbs) and 4 16oz cans of concentrate(a little more then 2 lbs of sugar) to 6 gallons. I am sure that it was very well mixed but my hygrometer is only reading 8% potential. Does this seem right?

Something isn't exactly right here.

What are you saying, 1) that you added four 16 oz cans of concentrate, plus four cups of sugar to 6-gallons of water?

Or, 2) that you added four cans of concentrate and four cups of sugar to some apple juice, yielding 6-gallons?

In any event, 1) should yield less tha 8%, and 2) should yield more than 8%.

Take another SG reading!

Pogo

I took several readings. I added the concentrate and sugar to juice with 6% potential.

Maybe it's all just semantics, I'm not sure.

Let's break the readings down into steps. It sounds like the 6% potential you have, is the potential of just the juice as it comes from the jug.

When you added the sugar, if it was properly diluted into some of the warmed juice, and then mixed thoroughly with the rest of the juice in the batch, and allowed to cool, should give an increase in the potential alcohol.

Likewise with adding the apple concentrate.

What were the SG numbers of the original specific gravity, plus any other gravity readings if you made any during the process.

I find it useful to take gravity readings of the juice before adding anything, then again after adding each component.

Also, when you get a chance, take a gravity reading of water at 60 degrees F, and see how close to zero your hydrometer reads.

If your hydrometer calibrates to zero properly, then take a sample of regular, un-tampered with, apple juice, and give us it's reading.

Pogo

Give us the specific gravity readings, no the potential alcohol readings. Are you certain of those measurements? I honestly don't even remember how they line pot. alc. up with SG, if they say 0% at 1.000 or what. If 1.000 = 0.0% then then SG of the juice sounds right at about 1.045ish. That leaves your second reading, that sounds low to me, dbl check your readings and report back to us with specific gravity not pot. alc and we can better figure this out.

water 1, juice 1.045, juice plus the 4 lbs equivilent sugar 1.060. Should have been around 1.084 by my calculations. It only took about a week to ferment out, used a mix of montrachet and S-04. Have it in the fridge now, i need it in 14 days for a college party.

Your hydrometer is OK!

The juice itself can be a pretty significant variable. Some of my juices, same source, same brand, have varied from 1.045 to 1.055. Then of course when you consider different brands, and different types...fresh squeezed, bottled, frozen concentrates,...plus, unapplied corrections for temperture, etc., SG's can vary.

BTW - What was the FG?

If it is truly finished, then it has all the ABV that it will have, and it's taste will determine if it is party worthy in 2 weeks.

Pogo

its fg was around a little above 1, and it was still fermenting but not changing much so i stuck it in the fridge.

Back