Does this seem like a good price?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jflongo

Reaction score
60 QT QUART 15 Gal HD Stainless Steel Stock Pot Beer Brewing w/Rack Lid

$109.99 with free shipping

Seems like a pretty good price, but adding temperature guage and spigot, do you think it's better to get one setup with that stuff already?

I ordered a 100 quart pot and lid from this seller. They sell 60 quart pots as well. With shipping they're a little less than $100. It's a very nice pot. I'm planning on ordering two more pots from them.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-60-QT-Quart-Polished-Stainless-Steel-Stock-Pot-Brewing-Kettle-Large-w-Lid-/200890640547?pt=Cookware&hash=item2ec603e8a3

As for the buy the parts yourself vs. buy it all put together option, it's a question of how much you're a DIY'er and if you've already got the tools to do the job. Obviously you'll save yourself a good chunk of change doing it yourself, but only if you have most or all of the tools to do the job already.

I ordered a 100 quart pot and lid from this seller. They sell 60 quart pots as well. With shipping they're a little less than $100. It's a very nice pot. I'm planning on ordering two more pots from them.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-60-QT-Quart-Polished-Stainless-Steel-Stock-Pot-Brewing-Kettle-Large-w-Lid-/200890640547?pt=Cookware&hash=item2ec603e8a3

As for the buy the parts yourself vs. buy it all put together option, it's a question of how much you're a DIY'er and if you've already got the tools to do the job. Obviously you'll save yourself a good chunk of change doing it yourself, but only if you have most or all of the tools to do the job already.

I'm guessing all of the parts would cost around $50 - $60. For spigot, coupler, temp gauge, etc. So far around $150 - $165, for a 15 gallon SS, with a spigot and temp gauge, I might as well do it myself. I'm sure the closest I could find would be well over $200 with that setup.

Here's the weldless parts list (I recommend Bobby at BrewHardware)

$12 - Weldless Coupler - Coupler
$13 - Ball Valve - Valve
$32 - Weldless Thermo - Thermo

With shipping parts are ~$66. If you don't have a drill, drill bit and a step bit then it'll go up from there. So all said in done you could have a 15gal kettle for around $165 plus your time.

Here's the weldless parts list (I recommend Bobby at BrewHardware)

$12 - Weldless Coupler - Coupler
$13 - Ball Valve - Valve
$32 - Weldless Thermo - Thermo

With shipping parts are ~$66. If you don't have a drill, drill bit and a step bit then it'll go up from there. So all said in done you could have a 15gal kettle for around $165 plus your time.

Thank you for the links, unfortunately that site is down for the weekend, odd :)

I do have an 18V drill, and metal bits to do a pilot hole. Not sure if i have a step bit I need to look. Maybe I'll practice this on my 30 quart pot. I'm not doing any brews for a few weeks, this could be a good practice pot, and then become my sparge water pot.

I may just go this route for the 15 gallon when i get it. For my 30 quart, i'll do it without the site glass.

Weldless thermometer sight gauge kit
- Vessel: Keg or kettle

- NEW - KEG Weldless Bulkhead Kit
- Inside the vessel fitting COUPLING - Standard option
- Valve Stainless 2 piece valve
- Hose Barb (valve outlet) 1/2" Male NPT x 1/2" Hose SS

3" face Miljoco Thermometer with 4" Long stem

Sub-Total: $82.95

This is what I think I"m going to do.

- NEW - KEG Weldless Bulkhead Kit
- Inside the vessel fitting COUPLING - Standard option
- Valve Stainless 2 piece valve