Does this scoby look OK?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Moezart

Reaction score
Hello. This is my third batch brewing scoby. A friend of mine handed me 3 scobies. I used the same one for the first 2 batches. And for my third batch I decided to use the other two scobies together in a slightly bigger batch ( 5 liters) I used loose leaf tea (a pack that was opened quite a while ago.)
Fermentation didn't start till the 3rd day! Greenish hue all around the scoby is this normal?
IMG_20181119_184423.jpeg
IMG_20181119_184403.jpeg

I think I've seen those cyan hues on scoby pictures before. Not sure where they come from, she's a complex organism doing her thing.

It looks pretty healthy, I wouldn't worry about it unless it develops into something that resembles mold.

I think I've seen those cyan hues on scoby pictures before. Not sure where they come from, she's a complex organism doing her thing.

It looks pretty healthy, I wouldn't worry about it unless it develops into something that resembles mold.
Hi IslandLizard.
The scibi overall color got better.. But there is a weird looking spot on the right of this picture... T does not look good! Could that be mold?
Thanks!
IMG_20181121_074517.jpeg
IMG_20181121_074522.jpeg

Sent from my LDN-L21 using Home Brew mobile app

Mold has usually a fuzzy or spongy appearance, but I would scoop that thing out if I were you, using a small sanitized spoon. Even if you need to cut a small bit off the scoby along with it. The scoby will regrow.

I doubt that "thing" contributes anything essential, and possibly much worse.
There's not much that can grow in the liquid phase underneath the scoby, low pH, low oxygen, and an abundance of bacteria overwhelming any intruders upon entering. But the top is a different story, the air/liquid boundary could be more hospitable to some organisms.

You keep some sort of lid/cover on it normally?

That's a good healthy looking scoby/buch you're brewing!

Mold has usually a fuzzy or spongy appearance, but I would scoop that thing out if I were you, using a small sanitized spoon. Even if you need to cut a small bit off the scoby along with it. The scoby will regrow.

I doubt that "thing" contributes anything essential, and possibly much worse.
There's not much that can grow in the liquid phase underneath the scoby, low pH, low oxygen, and an abundance of bacteria overwhelming any intruders upon entering. But the top is a different story, the air/liquid boundary could be more hospitable to some organisms.

You keep some sort of lid/cover on it normally?

That's a good healthy looking scoby/buch you're brewing!
IslandLizard... Thank you so much.
I cover it with a clean shirt as recommended by many for aeration. Other than that, I was very pleased with my previous 2 batches... So looking forward to more success... Thanks a lot.

Back