Does this plant look good?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm definitely not an expert on hop growing, but I would avoid that one. You can get hop rhizomes for a third the price and you will know what variety it is.

Try a search for "rhizome." Its basically a piece of root from a previous plant that you just bury and it is guaranteed to grow.

It's almost impossible to get any hop rhizomes unless I know someone who has a hop plant (which I don't) or I could steal one from a commercial hops grower but that is several hundred kms from where I live.

That first one is just listed as "hop plant", no variety. That is a bit troublesome as you will want to know what it is so you can guess at its alpha acid content.

Looking on trademe didn't find any reference to rhizomes. Are there any homebrew shops in your area? Or online ones out of Australia? They often sell rhizomes.

Otherwise try contacting New Zealand hops. http://www.nzhops.co.nz/ They don't say they sell rhizomes, but it can't hurt to ask. If you call them and ask where you can get 1 or 2, I would hope they are nice enough to help out or point you in the right direction.

Latest posts

Back