Does this Pale recipe look ok?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Aight. Have a good bit of hops and was trying to spread out the variety without making it too busy. FYI, I also have Chinook, Citra, Simcoe, Amarillo, Ahtanum, Columbus, Zythos and Spalt Select.

A 20 minute addition isn't FWH, so I'd do the FWH with one of the additions and do an actual 20 minute addition. I'm not crazy about the flavor of nugget, though. I think it feels pretty harsh. I'd use cascade or willamette at the 20 minute addition instead of nugget and use the 60 minute addition as FWH. That will give you a smoother bitterness without such a "nugget hop bite".

Yooper said:
A 20 minute addition isn't FWH, so I'd do the FWH with one of the additions and do an actual 20 minute addition. I'm not crazy about the flavor of nugget, though. I think it feels pretty harsh. I'd use cascade or willamette at the 20 minute addition instead of nugget and use the 60 minute addition as FWH. That will give you a smoother bitterness without such a "nugget hop bite".

I put the 20 min addition there to get the Ibu for the FWH of Nugget, wasn't actually going to do anything at 20. Make sense?

I put the 20 min addition there to get the Ibu for the FWH of Nugget, wasn't actually going to do anything at 20. Make sense?

Yes, but I would NOT FWH with that nugget anyway. I'd leave the 60 minute addition (you can FWH that addition if you want0, and use cascade or something else instead of nugget for flavor, and I'd use a 20 minute addition there.

Yooper said:
Yes, but I would NOT FWH with that nugget anyway. I'd leave the 60 minute addition (you can FWH that addition if you want0, and use cascade or something else instead of nugget for flavor, and I'd use a 20 minute addition there.

Ok I'll try it. Only skeptical because I did a FWH addition on the recipe below and it wasn't bitter enough, for a IIPA that is. I figured Nugget having a lower AA than Columbus would have a mellowed bite.

http://hopville.com/recipe/1199616/imperial-ipa-recipes/the-kraken

Back