Does this look right?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BeerBudha

Reaction score
I'm sure I'm just over reacting but this is only my 4th batch and it hasn't been acting like my other three ever since the begining. It's called Outback Mild Ale. I used a home made wort chiller for the first time with it don't know if maybe it wasn't sanitized properly. I know there's supposed to be the settiment on the bottom but what I'm worried about is the thin white film looking stuff just above that. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

DSCN0392.jpg

DSCN0393.jpg

Best I was able to do was the links, not sure how to put it directly into the posting. I tried html didn't work, i tried putting it into a word doc then copy and pasting didnt work any suggestions once again are appreciated.

oh ok, the links work now. Is that a picture of your primary or secondary fermentation vessel? Mine often has some light bubbles in secondary. Looks just like that.

it's secondary, i don't think it's bubbles. it looks to me like sediment but not the kind i'm used to seeing. i'm adding gelatin now then i'll let it sit for about another week, surgery on mon so not doing much with beer this week. thanks for you help.

That is just yeast settling. It is actually sitting on the inside of the glass. The bottom of the carboy slopes in and you get a little falling yeast that settle there.

As long as you at least washed off the wort chiller, and put it into the boil with about 20 minutes left, it should have been properly sanitized. I don't think that is the issue. I would say, that my trub typically isn't that white though.

Don't listen to these guys!! It looks like something is terribly wrong with that brew. I'll swing by and pick it up for "testing" and let you know what went wrong! :)

In the spirit of gwalt's post, i'll take it a step further. Go ahead and bottle it, carb it, and send it out to all of us that posted in this thread for testing.. We'll let you know how it tastes so you can decide if your procedure was right and you need to make a new batch or not.

Back