does this look right? 1st brew

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thooper41

Reaction score
alright 1st brew ever and im not sure if this is going right i have the beer fermenting right now and it look like a normal beer head on top but then some brown foamy looking stuff on top of that over. is this normal???

IMG_1971.jpg

IMG_1967.jpg

its a brown ale. its been in there for about 15 hours. ingredients are 3.3 lbs amber LME, 3.3 lbs dark LME, 12 oz carmel 80, 2 oz special B, 2 oz chocolate malt, 1oz cascade hops, 1oz fuggle hops and dry yeast. thanks for the help

There is absolutely nothing wrong by looking at that picture. Let it ferment!!!!

I get the impression that thooper41 would like to know exactly what that is he's seeing, figuring he posted pictures and all. It's called Krausen, a layer of thick foamy head that is produced during fermentation. Once fermentation slows down a bit the krausen will fall back into the beer and make the final beer flavor more complex. It will stick to the sides of the fermentation bucket though, so you'll have to clean it off before the next batch.

That thar my freind is a healthy brewing beer.

Krausen can look like anything from a thin fizzy head to apple crumb cake. Normally it will look like anything but normal. It can get real ugly. Eventually, that krausen will collapse and fall back into the beer.

Relax. Your beer knows what it's doing.

Thooper!

What you have there is a krausen. It denotes that your beer is badly infected with saccharomyces cerevisiae! I could fix it, but you'd have to send the entire batch to me. :D

Sorry, couldn't resist! You've got a very healthy fermentation and a great krausen atop your carboy (tell tale sign of healthy fermentation!) Congratulations!:mug:

nea ,it looks like its going bad ,ship it to me bottle and wort ,lmao ,and ill take care of it for you ,lmao,looks good to me beer bud ,bull

BierMuncher said:
Relax. Your beer knows what it's doing.

so you are implying it is a professional! Which implies it can do its own stunts! What kind of stunts can your beer do?

thooper....that recipe sounds fantastic. I am new at all this so this may be a stupid question...did you just boil all that together before fermenting? Where did you get the ingredients? I want to try that one.

Thats a nice beer for a first beer. My first beer was two cans of extract!

Back