Does this look like mold?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

truckndad

Reaction score
mold.jpg

mold-2.jpg

This is a first for me. Smells vinegary. Sure as heck doesn't look like yeast floaties. My first thought is to rack it to a secondary, obviously trying to rack from below this and leave it all behind. If it stays clear in the secondary than I might be OK? What are your thoughts on this one.

Looks like an infection to me. If you keg give it a taste and see if it can be salvaged. If you bottle I wouldn't really risk salvaging it unless you want an unintentional sour (usually not a good beer) or bottle bombs.

I usually keg, but I really didn't want to waste a keg on a bad beer when I have a good one I can keg next weekend. That was my thought on using a secondary. I'll be able to keep an eye on it that way and get a sample in a week or so to taste.

truckndad said:
I usually keg, but I really didn't want to waste a keg on a bad beer when I have a good one I can keg next weekend. That was my thought on using a secondary. I'll be able to keep an eye on it that way and get a sample in a week or so to taste.

The infection will just get worse unless it's chilled, which is why I recommended to keg it. Taste if first though. If it tastes good then keg and enjoy quickly.

Latest posts

Back