Does this look like an infection?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ElCid79

Reaction score
Well, as outlined in this thread, https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f39/aghh-436195/#post5568342

I had a valve bust on my bottling bucket which I was using as a fermenter....

Awesome...

So 2-3 days ago I racked it in a hurry, now I have this film developing on the beer. I havn't tasted it since then so I don't know how it tastes.... I may do that later, wanted to get some input on if this "looks" like an infection. I don't want to needlessly open the fermenter.

If this is an infection, what should I do?

The First Picture is after about 24 hours. (notice the quarter/nickel sized white dots. as well as that little cluster of brown things.)

The second and third pictures are current.... (more uniform film.)

beer0.jpg

beer1.jpg

beer2.jpg

I can't tell 100% from the pictures, but it looks more like co2 clinging to yeast rafts to me.

How long was it in primary? If it wasn't done fermenting it could even be the yeast restarting.

Look close, is it really a film for a bunch of tiny little bubbles. I had a similar thing happen the first time I did a secondary in a carboy, freaked out because it looked like little spots of mold starting, but when I got close and really looked, it was CO2 bubbles clumping together.

I assumed the brown things were yeasts. And it certainly looks fairly bubbly. I wouldn't doubt that fermentation wasn't 100% complete either.. Although the gravity was just around target. The airlock is no longer bubbling, so we shall see I suppose.

I'm no expert, but that looks like bubbles, not a film. Based on what I'm seeing, no worries.

Back