Does this look like an infected batch??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

photon0099

Reaction score
Hello HBT!!

Please take a look at this photo and give your opinion whether it not you think this batch is infected. I pitched with White Labs London Ale and noticed that the yeast was very chunky, like cottage cheese.

Beer smells great...but I wasn't expecting to see yeast on top and different colors.

image-3982128276.jpg

All opinions are welcome!

Thanks,
Philip

That is a very clumpy yeast, so that part is fine. But that white stuff is troublesome. I'd rack from under that white stuff and leave it all behind and keep an eye on it. I'd make sure to put it in a smaller carboy and reduce headspace, since so many molds and infections require oxygen to grow.

I figured as much. I have racked and bottled because the wort smelled so good. I don't think I'll risk my health by drinking it.

Should I bleach the primary and secondary to kill all of the mold? I know it's not a typical sterilization technique, but I want to be sure to kill all of the mold.

Thanks again HBT!!

I figured as much. I have racked and bottled because the wort smelled so good. I don't think I'll risk my health by drinking it.

Should I bleach the primary and secondary to kill all of the mold? I know it's not a typical sterilization technique, but I want to be sure to kill all of the mold.

Thanks again HBT!!

Looks like you're using a plastic bucket. Why not just buy another one?

I don't see anything wrong with heavily bleach bombing it but I've never dealt with an accidental infection or mold issue before.

Back