Does this look infected

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I’ve recently brewed an IPA and my fermenter started to give off an order that can only be described as a fart. Four days into fermentation and this is how it looks. Has anyone else had a similar thing happen to them??? Oh and I did use Ale yeast west coast by mangrove jack

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 75
The photo shows yeast rafts (kräusen remains), nothing concerning.

The aroma is hydrogen sulfide (H2S), which is a byproduct of "unhappy" yeast.
There's a reasonable chance the odor is just temporary.

How old was the yeast packet? Was it stored refrigerated? Did you rehydrate it and if yes, how? Did you use any yeast nutrient in the beer? At what temperature did you pitch? At what temperature are you fermenting, and how are you measuring it? What batch size? Did you aerate before pitching?

Welcome to HBT!

The chunks are benign, it'd be the kinda fuzzy white dots that'd be concerning.
Except...this is only four days in, towards the end of a high-CO2 environment, so mold seems unlikely to have developed so soon.

There are a couple of strains I use that produce sulfur towards the end of active fermentation, wy3787 most notably. Three days into fermentation all of a sudden the chamber is rank :drunk: But it all cleans up in good time.

Wait it out. I think you're ok to this point...

Cheers!

[edit] On closer inspection it appears the dots are on the vessel, not the wort surface. Even better!

The yeast packets was no more and two months old and I did pitch in at 78 degrees and I did not use yeast nutrient unfortunately. I’m fermenting at 68-69 in a cool brew bag and it was a 5 gallon batch also I’m measuring temp with a sticker thermometer
And thank you for the the quick response

The photo shows yeast rafts (kräusen remains), nothing concerning.

The aroma is hydrogen sulfide (H2S), which is a byproduct of "unhappy" yeast.
There's a reasonable chance the odor is just temporary.

How old was the yeast packet? Was it stored refrigerated? Did you rehydrate it and if yes, how? Did you use any yeast nutrient in the beer? At what temperature did you pitch? At what temperature are you fermenting, and how are you measuring it? What batch size? Did you aerate before pitching?

Welcome to HBT!

The chunks are benign, it'd be the kinda fuzzy white dots that'd be concerning.
Except...this is only four days in, towards the end of a high-CO2 environment, so mold seems unlikely to have developed so soon.

There are a couple of strains I use that produce sulfur towards the end of active fermentation, wy3787 most notably. Three days into fermentation all of a sudden the chamber is rank :drunk: But it all cleans up in good time.

Wait it out. I think you're ok to this point...

Cheers!

[edit] On closer inspection it appears the dots are on the vessel, not the wort surface. Even better!
Thank you so much for your response keeps my mind at ease

Back