does this look infected?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Doesn't look like it. Edit: on second look... maybe something there. Hard to tell from the pics. Last 2 look fine. First one looks a little suspect on the right. Kind of just looks like bubbles though.

I have had several batches with spots like that. I think its just yeast rafts. 99% sure you will be fine. Just leave the stuff in the fermenter when you bottle. What type of yeast were you using? Ive noticed that coopers yeast does that every time i have used it.

Thanks Psylo, it kind of looks like bubbles from here but again, I'm brand new and don't have any practical experience. I'm going to bottle it and see what happens, I really have no idea what to expect.

Looks okay, but just be aware that unwelcome germs LOVE a big headspace in secondary (I assume this is the secondary). Next time try to get it to fill up to the tippity-top.

lots of head space to get infected

type too slow :)

Looks okay, but just be aware that unwelcome germs LOVE a big headspace in secondary (I assume this is the secondary). Next time try to get it to fill up to the tippity-top.

Thank you for the tip on the head space guys, I appreciate the heads up on that. I got this batch bottled (my very-first home brew) and the flat beer tasted great!

I'm shocked how good it was actually, and just think that when I posted this thread this morning I was thinking that I was going to have to dump it.

I have had several batches with spots like that. I think its just yeast rafts. 99% sure you will be fine. Just leave the stuff in the fermenter when you bottle. What type of yeast were you using? Ive noticed that coopers yeast does that every time i have used it.

Hi dam, thanks for responding. it was a dry yeast packet from the kit that i got when i did my homebrew class and i didnt see a name on the package. i'm going to ask when i get back to the shop in the next week. :mug:

Back