Does this look infected

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kja5070

Reaction score
Hi everybody,
I have some funky looking beer. I made a pumpkin ale a while ago and dont think it looks too great. I left it in the primary for quite a while, maybe 2 months. I then racked it into a bucket and just checked it out. It has been in the bucket for probably another 2 months. I dont know what to make of it, hopefully its still ok to bottle.

1 year of camera ownership 126.jpg

1 year of camera ownership 128.jpg

If the smell doesnt revolt, you must taste it.

Is the gravity still within normal finishing range?

Hi everybody,
I have some funky looking beer. I made a pumpkin ale a while ago and dont think it looks too great. I left it in the primary for quite a while, maybe 2 months. I then racked it into a bucket and just checked it out. It has been in the bucket for probably another 2 months. I dont know what to make of it, hopefully its still ok to bottle.

I'd be more worried about the fact you racked it to a bucket with that much headspace as a secondary for 2 months!

Thanks for the info everybody. I tasted it and its not too bad, im going to go ahead and bottle it. Can someone inform me what the deal is with the head space. Apparently i dont want too much head space but what does that affect?

Thanks for the info everybody. I tasted it and its not too bad, im going to go ahead and bottle it. Can someone inform me what the deal is with the head space. Apparently i dont want too much head space but what does that affect?

When you do a secondary you want as little head space as possible since the beer is making very little (if any) co2 at that point. Without the co2 "blanket" oxygen gets in the head space. After 2 months the oxygen will likely have made it into your beer. That's why a lot of people only do a primary and never open the bucket to keep the protective layer of co2 on top...

if your beer got a lot of oxygen after fermentation then it's not going to store very well, so if it tastes good now then get thirsty and get at it

dinnerstick said:
if your beer got a lot of oxygen after fermentation then it's not going to store very well, so if it tastes good now then get thirsty and get at it

It's a dark beer, so it's going to develop a nice 'English character'. Cardboard goes better with dark grains!

Every time I see that title i think of someone at a urinal turning to the guy next to him and asking "this look infected to you?"
Lol

Back