Does This Look Infected

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Skarekrough

Reaction score
I realize this is kind of a general newbie question, but I did bring pics.

This is a lager I brewed about a month ago. The fermentation temps were a little on the low side; started on November 18th at 1.052 and when I checked about ten days ago it was only at 1.030.

So I brought it inside thinking that a little warmth would kick it into high gear. I let it sit for five days at it was still at 1.030.

I decided to transfer it to perhaps get the yeast moving in the right direction. I checked it two days ago and it looked like it was at 1.028.

This morning I noticed a bubble coming out of the airlock so I figured the yeast might have come out of their slumber. When I went to check I found this white film at the top. The gravity is still at 1.028.

Heres the pics:

IMAG0015.jpg

IMAG0016.jpg

Is this an infection? If so is there anything I can do to save this beer?

I'm still a "noob" but from what I've seen of infections, I would think so, yes. I'm sure one of the more experienced guys can tell you for sure and give you some more details.

Bummer

That is brett. I had it get on a batch yesterday that was exposed to air for a long time because my keg didn't seal. You've got two options:

1. Drink it. Brett takes a while to contribute any flavor, and even then, it won't be bad. That's what I'm doing with my infected beer, right now it tastes completely normal. However, brett is very hard to get rid of once it touches equipment. You might have to buy a new bottling bucket or whatever else touches it, or not. One member on here routinely brews lambics and normal beers on the same equipment and has never had a cross contamination.
2. Toss it. Prepare to feel depressed for a few hours.

That is brett. I had it get on a batch yesterday that was exposed to air for a long time because my keg didn't seal. You've got two options:

1. Drink it. Brett takes a while to contribute any flavor, and even then, it won't be bad. That's what I'm doing with my infected beer, right now it tastes completely normal. However, brett is very hard to get rid of once it touches equipment. You might have to buy a new bottling bucket or whatever else touches it, or not. One member on here routinely brews lambics and normal beers on the same equipment and has never had a cross contamination.
2. Toss it. Prepare to feel depressed for a few hours.

I'd planned on kegging it so I'm reluctant to drop it in there if it may muck up a keg and a bucket.

Bummer....

+1 on it being a Brett infection. Personally, I've never had one, but I'd be worried about kegging it too.... Like another post said, Brett can be tough to get out of equipment. Bottle and hope for the best... If you carefully rack from under that pellicle leaving the lat inch or two of beer behind, you could be ok.

I don't believe the bacteria will remain in a keg with proper cleaning and sanitation. You can boil the rubber seals if you desire. Plastics might be another story. I had the same situation and just racked to a keg yesterday. The beer tasted quite good actually. I tossed the racking tubing. I'm going to use bleach to disinfect my better bottle. We'll see.

Clean the pale & equipment with PBW,then soak in a bleah solution for a few days. But be prepared for som rinsing to get the bleach smell out of everything. And don't use anything to scrub the stuff that'll scratch it.

Clean the pale & equipment with PBW,then soak in a bleah solution for a few days. But be prepared for som rinsing to get the bleach smell out of everything. And don't use anything to scrub the stuff that'll scratch it.

I've done at least one more batch of beer with the equipment since I did this Lager and it has not exhibited any indication of infection.

If it got into it I would think it were likely five days ago when I did the transfer.

The good news I guess is that this means one fermenting bucket is suspicious. I nuked it pretty hard with Star-San though.

All things being equal, I'm prone to retire the bucket. It was the first one I got with a kit almost eleven years ago so it doesn't owe me anything.

How could leaving the last inch if beer prevent Brett from getting into his keg?

The idea is (regardless of kegging or bottling) is to leave it behind some. If the beasties are of the type that require o2 then they would reside mostly at the top and hopefully be left behind.

I had 2 similar infections back to back a couple years ago and traced it back to a scratched up primary bucket. Bottled em anyhow and gave it a try. Had a bit of a sour quality and serious over carbonation for the most part, but not completely intolerable. Chalk it up to an oops and brew some more, oh and if you do bottle it store the bottles in something enclosed. I didn't have any blow up, but given the amount of carbonation that was in them I can't say it's not possible either.

I've done at least one more batch of beer with the equipment since I did this Lager and it has not exhibited any indication of infection.

If it got into it I would think it were likely five days ago when I did the transfer.

The good news I guess is that this means one fermenting bucket is suspicious. I nuked it pretty hard with Star-San though.

All things being equal, I'm prone to retire the bucket. It was the first one I got with a kit almost eleven years ago so it doesn't owe me anything.

Brett takes a long time to show up. I have a brett-dosed old ale in a jug that is only starting to show the faintest signs of activity after a few weeks.

I'd retire the bucket at least. You can just replace the O-Rings on the keg and boil your tap. Brett can't survive pasteurization to my knowledge, nothing can.

Back