Does this look infected?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Reverend JC

2500 gallons year to date
Reaction score
i dont have a pic of it but to discribe it, it looked like 1/4 inch round circles on the top of my lager as i was about to put it in the lagering chest after letting it sit out for a day in 68 degree air. as i carried the carboy up the stair the brew started to swirl around a bit and those little circles all kind of floated apart into what appeared just to be a light head on a beer.

If it was an infection wouldn't you think they little clumps would have stuck together? Like mold?

I know it is hard to diagnos without seeing it.

Thanks

Reverend

Yeast is a fungus and so are many molds, so I suspect you are looking at nothing more than little clumps of yeast. Have you used this yeast strain before?

Nope, it is the Wyeast lager yeast. i can not remember the # but i will dig it up later and post it. i am thinking you are right because as the brew started to slosh around a bit as i carried it, the clumps just kind of broke apart as i said before.

I might have had the same thing in a few batches in my secondary. They look like mold, but on closer inspection they are co2/yeast.

I think you guys are right about it being yeast. If it was mold i would speculate that it would not easily break apart like it did.

Update on the situation-

Well, after i reached the proper lager temp (50 degrees) the white stuff on the top multiplyied 10 fold and it must have been the yeast and some Co2 foam gathering on the top. Wasn't sure at first as this is my first real lager.

All appears to be good. will rack to secondary and drop temp to 36ish in about 4 days and let it set until december 14th ish (when my brothers Child will be born).

My first lager to celebrate My first time being an Uncle!!!!!!!

Reverend

Back