Does this look correct for a Belgian Tripple

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fishnfever

Reaction score
Total boil time 1 hour
Primary fermentation 3-7 days
Secondary fermentation 4 weeks
Bottled beer fermentation 3 weeks
OG - 1.079 FG - 1.016 Color – 6.22 SRM Alcohol – 8.36% Bitterness – 33.7 IBU
Ingredients
6 lbs of Light Liquid extract
1.0 lbs of Dry Light malt extract
2.0 lbs of Pilsner malt
2.0 lbs of Clear Candi Sugar
1.5 oz of Styrian Goldings (bittering)
1 package Belgian Abbey
• Smack yeast pack at least 6 hours in advance (may be refrigerated for up to 3 days after smacking and before brewing). Ignore if using dry yeast.
• Put 3 gallons of water into fridge to cool down.
• Bring another 2.5 gallons of water to 170° F in pot.
• Add grain pack to muslin bag and insert into water for 15 minutes
• Do not let water temperature go below 150° F or back above 160° F
• At the end of the 15 minute steep remove grain bags and let water drain from bag into pot. Do not squeeze grain bag.
• Bring water up to a boil. Add Dry Malt Extract, Candi Sugar and Styrian Goldings hops. Boil for 60 minutes
• After 45 minutes of boil time remove pot from stove (or turn heat off) and add liquid malt extract . Return pot to stove (or turn heat back on) and continue to boil for 15 minutes.
• At 60 minutes of total boil time turn stove off. Cool wort by placing pot in sink with ice and water.
• Add the 3 gallons of water from fridge to the fermenter and add wort to the fermenter when a wort temperature of >80° F is obtained.
• When a temperature of 70° F or less is obtained pitch yeast into the fermenter.
• Place the fermenter into an area where a temperature of 60-80° F can be maintained for 3-7 days
• After 7 days of fermentation rack beer into secondary fermenter or after 10 days bottle beer
• Siphon beer into bottling bucket.
• Heat priming sugar in a cup and half of boiling water for 15 minutes.
• Add priming sugar mixture to beer.
• Cap bottled beer
• Let bottled beer ferment at 70° F for 3 weeks. Beer may be cellared for up to 1 year.

Does this all look like it is in order? I came across this kit at a local HBS.

So just a few thoughts on this one:
1) I definitely recommend a starter for this one
2) Your times are pretty short, especially for a beer as complex as a trippel. I would go with 2-3weeks primary, at least 1 month secondary and at least 2 months in bottles.
3) I don't know what flavors you really like or are looking for, but for Belgian beers I like to pitch at ~68F and let it rise to mid to high 70s - this will give off more esters from the yeast, but not too harsh. Its up to yu and your personal preference, however.

Have you brewed before? Trippels aren't generally the best beers to jump in with, but with a few batches under your belt and a solid technique you can pull it off.

Also, if you are interested in brewing Belgians, I strongly recommend "Brew Like a Monk" - great book

So just a few thoughts on this one:
1) I definitely recommend a starter for this one
2) Your times are pretty short, especially for a beer as complex as a trippel. I would go with 2-3weeks primary, at least 1 month secondary and at least 2 months in bottles.
3) I don't know what flavors you really like or are looking for, but for Belgian beers I like to pitch at ~68F and let it rise to mid to high 70s - this will give off more esters from the yeast, but not too harsh. Its up to yu and your personal preference, however.

Have you brewed before? Trippels aren't generally the best beers to jump in with, but with a few batches under your belt and a solid technique you can pull it off.

Also, if you are interested in brewing Belgians, I strongly recommend "Brew Like a Monk" - great book

I have brewed many kits. I didn't know that there is such a wait untill it can be drank. I don't think that I will be making this any time soon any ways. I just wanted to see what others thought of this kit before I put any more thought into it.

Honestly, I would not go by that recipe. Look in the database here for something better. I'll try to post my Belgian Golden Strong Ale that was extract also

Honestly, I would not go by that recipe. Look in the database here for something better. I'll try to post my Belgian Golden Strong Ale that was extract also

Okay. There was just something thats said not to use this. Thanks for the heads up

Back