Does this Black Rye Saison recipe seem okay?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kelz

Reaction score
13 lbs 13oz of 2 Row
5 lbs of Rye Malt
2 lbs of Carafa III
1 lb of Carared
1 lb of Caramel Wheat
1 oz Warrior
3 oz Sorachi Ace
2 oz Nelson Sauvin
2 pkgs Lallemand Belle Saison yeast

This is for a 10 gallon batch. I need some tips on making it as good as possible.

Carafa is generally just for color, and just a bit need to be added. I'd expect 8oz max would get you the color you need. I would add 2lbs of a simple sugar to dry it out. I personally would drop the caramel wheat. With the amount of rye in there, the wheat won't do anything noticeable. If you wanted wheat in there, then substitute your carafa for midnight wheat. Just increase the carared if that's the flavor you're after. I don't think the lemony Sorachi Ace and white wine Nelson Sauvin would play well with the rye. I'm piecing together a recipe to likely brew tomorrow, and I'll be looking to accentuate the yeast and rye spiciness with the hops. I haven't decided what that'll be yet, although based on what's in my freezer it likely will be Styrian Goldings and Saaz.

I do a black saison and use 8oz of de-bitterd Black for a 5 gallon batch and it comes out very black.

I agree with Quaker on the hops too.

Full disclosure, I ignored my own advice. I opted to go with all Mosaic for my FWH, 15min, and flameout in place of a spicy hop. We'll see what comes out. 4 ounces total in a 10 gallon batch.

I used 1 lb of midnight wheat for my color in my batch. It won't be true black. More of a very dark brown.

2 lbs Carafa III in a 10-gal batch is way way way too much! You only want a little bit of that.

You could instead try Carafa II, which will give it a nice dark brown color and some mild chocolate notes at around 2.8% of grist.

Back