Does this baby SCOBY look normal?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk:

MDMD

Reaction score
Hey Ya'll,

I decided last week to pick up a new hobby of fermenting Kombucha at home, but given my excitement decided that instead of ordering a SCOBY I'd just make my own in a couple weeks.

Anyways, here are a couple pictures of my current scoby after 5 days. Please let me know where I could have gone wrong and if I can still make Kombucha using this SCOBY or if I need to continue to wait, thanks.

In order to make my SCOBY I poured two cups of black tea mixed in with half a cup of sugar and divided the tea evenly between two open lid amber glass jars. After letting the tea cool from boiling after 1.5 hrs I poured half a bottle of GT's Original Kombucha into each jar. After 5 Days I have this little guy...
IMG_0524.jpg

Seamonkey84

Reaction score
Looking good, you can pitch it from there or wait a few more days for it to get fairly sour. Once you pour it into a bigger batch, a bigger scoby will form in the next jar. The most important thing is a strong starter tea, which is what your making now. The solid scoby (pellicle) shows it’s a healthy ferment, but not actually necessary to make a batch, just add more or stronger starter tea.

OP
MDMD

MDMD

Reaction score
Looking good, you can pitch it from there or wait a few more days for it to get fairly sour. Once you pour it into a bigger batch, a bigger scoby will form in the next jar. The most important thing is a strong starter tea, which is what your making now. The solid scoby (pellicle) shows it’s a healthy ferment, but not actually necessary to make a batch, just add more or stronger starter tea.
Hell yeah, thanks.

day_trippr

"This Space For Rent"
Reaction score
It's adorable! And given our natural bias towards symmetry, looks perfect, actually.
Congratulations!

Cheers! :D