Does the stove have to be a raging boil...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MMMIPA

Reaction score
to complete the beer making process? My first batch I used a aluminum pot and it didnt come to a raging boil.I thought maybe cause it was such a large pot and alumnim,the aluminum may have obsorrbed some of the heat there fore not making a full boil.Now I have a SS 32 quart pot and i havnt used it yet.Im hoping it works out fine this time.What are some of the cons to not having a full boil?

Thanks
Sean

Actually aluminum is one of the best heat conductors available in the food industry, next to copper. Stainless will actually take longer to boil and may scorch if you don't stir. I think you should invest in an outdoor propane cooker, it's truly worth it. A patial boil promotes a darker wort and more melanoidin formation. Concentrated worts also require more hops to get to a certain IBU level. BTW, your beer will be fine.

+1
Also, keep in mind that a "raging" boil will waste your fuel, and will also evaporate quite a bit of wort. Keep it between simmering and raging...more like "rolling". :)

raging bo....
:D
sorry, couldn't pass that one up.

I've been wondering, if a slight boil is enough, is there that much of a difference between adding hops at flameout vs 1 minute? (other than that 1 minute of extra time) No biggie, just curious if there is an aspect that I'm missing.

Thanks

if the aluminum would barely boil, the SS pot may take forever to even reach a simmer.

seriously consider a turkey fryer and outdoor boiling/garage boiling, IF you have space for it.

Back