Does the choice of bittering hops matter?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tinpanharry

Reaction score
Does it matter what bittering hop I use if I achieve the correct IBU level?

I recently picked up a few pounds of Cascade (7.5AA) whole hops at the annual AB hop give-away, and would like to use them for bittering. I use BeerSmith and can adjust the amount used to achieve the right IBU level.

So does the taste of hops used for bittering come through in a beer?
I am brewing a Vienna Lager soon that calls for Hallertauer and usually make brown ales using Kent Goldings but if it makes no difference, then I'll use the Cascade.

Cheers!
TPH

In short, yes it matters. You won't necessarily taste anything reminding you of cascade, but different hops have different bittering properties beyond just the IBU contribution. That can be more or less important depending on the style.

I can taste Columbus if used at 60. Some hops are just so strong that some flavor will survive the boil. Most hops won't come through, I can't say for sure with cascade. One thing to keep in mind is that cascade has a much higher cohumulone percentage than EKG or hallertau. It is generally accepted that this lends a harsher bitterness, though some do question this position.

I've done a lot of experimenting with different bittering hops and how they combine with different flavor/aroma hops. The bittering hops do effect the flavor. It is not as pronounced as those made at 20 minutes and under. Some varieties have a bigger impact than others. Cascade will add some grapefruit flavor if used as a bittering hop. I brewed an IPA with Cascade as the bittering hop and another with Galena which is very neutral. I kept everything else the same and the IPA that used Cascade as the bittering hop had more grapefruit flavor. It was very noticeable.

Also some have a "rougher" bitter than others. For delicate styles, try to use a low co-humolone (in general, its complicated) hop for the bittering additions.

Also some have a "rougher" bitter than others. For delicate styles, try to use a low co-humolone (in general, its complicated) hop for the bittering additions.

Is this the beta number? Otherwise where would I find the number? What I have on hand is Cascade 7.5AA. Is there a range so that I know if the number is low or high? For example if the range is 1-10, then I could make a choice.

Thanks!
TPH

Cascade is listed as 33-40% cohumulone. Anything over 30 is considered more harsh.

Yep, Hop union's website lists ranges for most available varieties. For continental styles, (or things like a cream ale), I tend to avoid anything over 25.

Back