Does the Boiling Pot Width matter?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wedge421

Reaction score
I bought a 8.5 gallon SS wort boiling pot off of ebay. My concern is that the pot is a stew pot so it is much larger round then it is high like a lot of the larger SS brewing pots are. I boil the wort on my grill outside anyways so will this affect anything as far as wort boiling goes? Or is it just easier to direct heat to a narrower but higher pot.

wider is actually better. You will be fine. And don't worry if you end up heating only the center of the pot, this will result in a nice and even circulation of the wort. A ratio 1:2 ratio of wort depth to diameter is said to be ideal. The increased surface area will help with the evaporation.

Kai

I figured as much but I was just concerned about the heating time etc. But I guess its half a dozen of one 6 of the other...

Wider is better to a degree but only if you still have enough headspace to deal with big foam ups. The taller a pot is given a fixed volume, the taller the headspace will be. I wouldn't put more than 6 or maybe 6.5 gallons in there.

The trade-off is heat transfer through a larger pan vs more evaporation surface. Haven't run the numbers, but I'm fairly certain a wider vessel will heat faster.

Wow ok another thread on this wider pot topic. I guess I am in the market for a new pot.

I've noticed with a wider surface area, the foam ups are less exaggerated. I'm guessing it has to do with more air contact / heat loss.

Back