Quantcast

Does the Boiling Pot Width matter?

HomeBrewTalk.com - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Community.

Help Support Homebrew Talk:

wedge421

Reaction score
I bought a 8.5 gallon SS wort boiling pot off of ebay. My concern is that the pot is a stew pot so it is much larger round then it is high like a lot of the larger SS brewing pots are. I boil the wort on my grill outside anyways so will this affect anything as far as wort boiling goes? Or is it just easier to direct heat to a narrower but higher pot.

Kaiser

Reaction score
wider is actually better. You will be fine. And don't worry if you end up heating only the center of the pot, this will result in a nice and even circulation of the wort. A ratio 1:2 ratio of wort depth to diameter is said to be ideal. The increased surface area will help with the evaporation.

Kai

OP
wedge421

wedge421

Reaction score
I figured as much but I was just concerned about the heating time etc. But I guess its half a dozen of one 6 of the other...

Bobby_M

Vendor and Brewer
HBT Sponsor
Reaction score
Wider is better to a degree but only if you still have enough headspace to deal with big foam ups. The taller a pot is given a fixed volume, the taller the headspace will be. I wouldn't put more than 6 or maybe 6.5 gallons in there.

david_42

Reaction score
The trade-off is heat transfer through a larger pan vs more evaporation surface. Haven't run the numbers, but I'm fairly certain a wider vessel will heat faster.

jzal8

Reaction score
Wow ok another thread on this wider pot topic. I guess I am in the market for a new pot.

Soulive

Reaction score
jzal8 said:
Wow ok another thread on this wider pot topic. I guess I am in the market for a new pot.
Yeah, I learned last night how much more efficient wider is...

5 Is Not Enough

Reaction score
I've noticed with a wider surface area, the foam ups are less exaggerated. I'm guessing it has to do with more air contact / heat loss.