Does the blue carbonator cap EVER actually work?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bacon488

Reaction score
I'm on my second blue carbonator cap. The first one cracked, after having never once succeeded in sealing on bottle threads. As in CO2 hissing out loudly while I was trying to pressurize a bottle. We're not talking a tiny leak. We're talking practically zero seal. The second one, bought mere minutes ago, is doing the same thing on every bottle I have tried. I have cranked down as hard as I dare on the thing--that's how I cracked the first one--to get it tight on the bottle, and no dice. Hence the question in the header. Do these things ever, ever, EVER work??? Or are they just expensive garbage?

Man that sucks you are having some issues...I having been using mine..(all three are blue) on 1 and 2 liter bottles with no issues whatsoever. I don't even torque on them that much. After I carb with them, I leave them on and never experienced a loss of CO2 pressure except what gets absorbed into solution.
I just carb'd some skeeter pee the other day and it worked beautifully.

Man that sucks you are having some issues...I having been using mine..(all three are blue) on 1 and 2 liter bottles with no issues whatsoever. I don't even torque on them that much. After I carb with them, I leave them on and never experienced a loss of CO2 pressure except what gets absorbed into solution.
I just carb'd some skeeter pee the other day and it worked beautifully.

Same here, it's been flawless. Nice way to taste some fresh beer on bottling night!

They have a lifetime warrantee, if yours cracked you should have sent it back they will send you a new one. I have never had problems with mine. Make sure you remove that saftey ring that breaks off the original soda bottle cap when it's opened the first time. It will get in the way of the carbonator and not seal.

This might be a dumb suggestion, but make sure you remove the little plastic ring that is left on when you remove the bottle's original cap. I have 2 of these carb caps and they work great!

I've been using a blue one for years and have never had an issue. I fill up a two liter bottle of every batch before I keg the rest as a sample bottle, then I carb that. I bought a green one about a year ago as a backup and haven't had any issues with that one either.

Got a heck of a deal on the stainless steel version, $5 each. I bought 4 of them.
Couldn't crack them with a hammer.

Funny you mentioned a hammer... The cracking of my previous plastic carbonator cap was via hammer. It might have been weakened/fatigued from all the torque I put on it in a failed attempt to get it to seal on the bottle threads. What did it in was a failed attempt to get the cap and a gas disconnect to, well, connect. I broke both the disconnect AND the cap when not even a rubber mallet would get them to couple.

Funny you mentioned a hammer... The cracking of my previous plastic carbonator cap was via hammer. It might have been weakened/fatigued from all the torque I put on it in a failed attempt to get it to seal on the bottle threads. What did it in was a failed attempt to get the cap and a gas disconnect to, well, connect. I broke both the disconnect AND the cap when not even a rubber mallet would get them to couple.

Try putting a little grease on the balls and rubbing surfaces. Mine was really hard to seat before I did that.

Got a heck of a deal on the stainless steel version, $5 each. I bought 4 of them.
Couldn't crack them with a hammer.

+1 on the stainless carbonator caps. I love mine, it's great for force carbing soda quickly or repressurizing bottles.

I got mine from AHS, but they don't seem to carry them anymore. I wish I had bought a few more.

Latest posts

Back