Does the 3 week bottle rule apply to wits and hefes also???

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bgough

Reaction score
Ive seen it posted on this board to drink them early, but do they actually take less time in the bottle to carb/condition?

I just bottled my first wit 2 days ago and was wondering if it is necessary to hold off for 3, or if these might be ready in a week or so.

I like my hefe as fresh as possible, so I usually dig into them after the 2nd week if I see good carbing in a couple bottles.

FWIW, I usually open a bottle at one and two weeks, just for kicks.

Jim

I strongly agree. There's no way for you to know the life cycle of your beer and how well conditioning helps the taste unless you've tasted it before and after. I -always- crack a bottle at one week. Just so I can taste it two weeks later and know the difference.

As for the hefeweizen bottle conditioning times, I think the nature of the beer makes you more hesitant to bottle condition it for a long time, but won't really change the initial conditioning. I think the important thing is not to let it spend too long (months) clearing in the bottle.

I brewed a hefeweizen a couple months ago that I decided to secondary and forgot about until I found it this past weekend. I hope it doesn't taste like crap when I bottle it this weekend. Of all of the beers to forget about and let age for a long time, it had to be a hefeweizen...

Of all of the beers to forget about and let age for a long time, it had to be a hefeweizen...

Hi Dougan - look at it as an experiment! Radical brewing at its best! Seriously, it will be good, maybe different, but good. Your beer may be the one that starts a new trend towards aged hefeweizens . . .

Cheers :mug:

Jim

I cracked open a wit last night after 4 days in the bottle and was very impressed with the taste. Could use a few more days for carbing but it was decently carbed already. I was told by a member on here 4-5 days for the wit to be ready to drink so I guess i'll keep trying one every few days and see how they progress.

Hopefully i'll be able to keep a few around to try at 2 weeks :mug:

My last hefe was carbed and ready to go after 4 days in the bottle.Not just head but thoroughly carbonated.After a month the estery flavor is starting to fade.Your decision though.I liked it alot better when it was young:)

Since I started brewing in September I brewed 3 batches of Wheat beers. 2 of them I still have a few remaining bottles. I did notice with the Hefe that after 3 weeks in primary and 2 weeks in bottles it tasted delicious, with more time in bottles the taste was reducing with time. My Wits I like to mix with OJ which adds so much citrus that it becomes the nectar of gods :)

I have batch #3 of Wit in the primary since Saturday and thinking about keeping it in the primary for only 2 weeks. I have another batch of Wit following it and it will be my first attempt at collecting the yeast from batch #1 and reusing for #2 (Wit) followed by #3 (Grand Cru).

I have been doing 3 weeks in primary and 3 weeks in bottle but I am thinking of reducing it to 2 / 2 for Wheats. I do admit I tend to always crack a bottle earlier then 3 weeks but all my batches after #1 have been at least 3 weeks in primary.

Back