Does steeping specialty grains add calories?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AntDoctor

Reaction score
People say that steeping grains (as opposed to mashing) adds no fermentable sugars. But does this still add calories to the beer or just ... calorie-less flavors?

I'm thinking about making a gallon of sparkling hopwater, and I'm wondering if I can add some malt flavor via steeped grains without increasing calories.

What's your definition of steeping?

Some might describe mashing as being similar to steeping. Malt & hot water & time.
I meant below 150. Maybe thirty minutes at 140F?

OR, if there's a temperature or time where you can get flavor and no/little calories, I'm interested too.

I guess it depends what you're talking about. If it's a specialty grain, then you're adding sugar, so calories. If you "steep" a grain like 2-row, even at 140, you are going to get conversion of starch to sugar. Even if you didn't, you are still adding starch which have calories. Unless you don't mill it but even then, you'll either get something released that has calories, or you won't get the grain flavor you are looking for. I guess in my mind, if you soak any kind of grain, you are probably increasing the calories.

I guess it depends what you're talking about. If it's a specialty grain, then you're adding sugar, so calories. If you "steep" a grain like 2-row, even at 140, you are going to get conversion of starch to sugar. Even if you didn't, you are still adding starch which have calories. Unless you don't mill it but even then, you'll either get something released that has calories, or you won't get the grain flavor you are looking for. I guess in my mind, if you soak any kind of grain, you are probably increasing the calories.
I thought specialty grains, without something that has diastatic power, DON'T add sugar?

Dumb question then: what has more calories? 1 gram of grain starches or the end product if that 1 gram was fully broken down into sugars?

Back