Does size matter?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

What's yur typical batch size...

• Less then 5 Gallons

• 5 - 9.5 Gallons

• 10 - 14.5 Gallons

• 15 +

Results are only viewable after voting.

Padstack31

Reaction score
Now that I got your attention, please take a sec to answer the poll above...

What's your typical batch size?

I plan all of my batches at about 5.5 gallons. Usually by the time I rack off and esp when I dryhop I'll end up with about 5 gallons finished product in the keg. I will be doing 10G batches in the future when I upgrade my equipment.

I plan all of my batches at about 5.5 gallons. Usually by the time I rack off and esp when I dryhop I'll end up with about 5 gallons finished product in the keg. I will be doing 10G batches in the future when I upgrade my equipment.

Are you boiling with more water or topping off to over 5 gal?

5 gallons is right for my consumption. Now with parties/fests (more of what I am planning on getting into) a 10 gallon batch would probably be better. But for personal consumption I have found that once I am done with a batch I don't want to revisit it for a while. In fact, very few things for me are repeated in a years time.

It depends most beers I do a 5.5 gal batch but Ed's Pale ale I always do a 10gal batch because we go through so much of it. I find out with experimental brews unless I really enjoy them I don't need any more than 5 gal sometimes I need much less.

I sure like to do a 5 gallon batches. That is just a nice size...it fills a cornie...or 2 cases.....
I might get into brewing some 10 gallon batches someday...but really....I'd way rather do 2 5 gallon batches

My typical batch size is 5 gallons, but I've done 10 gallon batches on my house stout and pale ale a few times.

Like BK says, it's just an ideal size for personal consumption.

New unproven recipes are 5 gallon batches, established recipes are 10 gallon batches, and the BCB Haus Pale Ale is 15 gallons at a time.

Apfelwein is always 15-16 gallons at a time.

My typical batch size is 5 gallons BUT I've been doing a heck of a lot of AG 2.5 gallon batches on my stovetop. In the last 3 months I've done quite a few of those and only 1 or 2- 5 gallon batch.

My typical batch size is 5 gallons BUT I've been doing a heck of a lot of AG 2.5 gallon batches on my stovetop. In the last 3 months I've done quite a few of those and only 1 or 2- 5 gallon batch.

How long has it been taking you for a 2.5 gallon?

Generally I brew 5.25 gallon (to fermentor, so that's actually 5.75 post boil in the kettle) batches. But I will occasionally brew 10 gallon batches of the House APA or if I'm brewing for a party.

I shoot for 5.5 gallons into the fermenter which yields just over 5 gallons bottled. Since I do partial boils it's usually 2.5 gal of wort into 3 gallons iced water.

I keep saying I'm going to do a 10 gallon batch, but I always have an excuse not to. I like to brew inside, so that limits me to 5 gallon batches on the stovetop. I have a propane burner and a keggle, but have never used them. Sad, I know!

I will be trying to figure out how the heck I'm going to boil down to a 32 gallon batch as soon as I win my Conical from Austin Home Brew!

Might have to stick to Apfelwein on that one.

Back