Does size matter?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Xiren

Reaction score
I listened to a podcast today, they were talking about making a 10 gallon wort and breaking it down into 10-1 gallon batches to use different yeast. My question is, would using a 6 gallon carboy for 1 gallon make the beer taste different compared to 5 gallons in a 6 gallon carboy?
Thank you in advance.

The only potential risk I would see is that one gallon in a 6.5 gallon container would have a lot of space. That space would be filled with air (oxygen) and I dont know if one gallon of beer would put off enough CO2 to offset it...so you would have a risk of oxidation. However, I have never done anything remotely like that, so I really dont know.

Then my other question is what is the ratio of wort to container size? Example: if I have 5 gallons of wort, what is the biggest carboy I should use?

I've actually thought about getting a 3 gallon carboy and using my 5 one gallon glass jars to try out different yeast. I'd make a good 5% pale ale, about 6 gallons, not too hoppy, then split it into 5 3/4 gallon batches and toss the rest in the 3 gallon carboy with a yeast i've used before. I'd try for a good balance of hoppy and malty to figure out what yeast does what for which flavors. I've noticed some yeasts love to bring out the maltiness in beer while the others help the hops shine. Only thing that has set me back is Wyeast is $6.75 each... ugh... Just my 2cp!:rockin:

Back