Does SG of 1.000 or less mean no carbs?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mezhan

Reaction score
So I'm trying to start a new diet which is low carb. As a casual wine drinker and brewer, I'd like to continue to have a couple glasses now and then without sending my carb count too high. I typically drink dry red so I'm ok the right track but I'm curious about what the actual carb count is if I let my reds ferment all the way out and don't back sweeten.

According to online nutrition databases, even (commercial) dry reds are in the 3-5g range but my understanding of gravity readings leads me to believe a 1.000 or less would indicate any fermentable sugar have been consumed by the yeast. I often see <1.000 on my FG so would that mean I have zero residual sugars and thus no carbs?

Thanks for any help!

download (1).jpeg

I would expect a 5 oz glass of wine to have about 150 calories. They will come from some residual sugar (water has an SG of 1.000 so a wine at about 12% ABV which has a gravity of 1.000 must have some sugar as alcohol is less dense than water) and from the alcohol. Is the issue then whether wine has calories or carbohydrates.

Alcohol IS a carb, but it's not counted the same way as sugar is in diet plans because alcohol is metabolized differently than simple sugars. It may have a carb count of, say, 4 grams, but the wine would be 0 on the glycemic load because of no sugar.

Latest posts

Back