Quantcast

Does SG of 1.000 or less mean no carbs?

HomeBrewTalk.com - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Community.

Help Support Homebrew Talk:

mezhan

Reaction score
So I'm trying to start a new diet which is low carb. As a casual wine drinker and brewer, I'd like to continue to have a couple glasses now and then without sending my carb count too high. I typically drink dry red so I'm ok the right track but I'm curious about what the actual carb count is if I let my reds ferment all the way out and don't back sweeten.

According to online nutrition databases, even (commercial) dry reds are in the 3-5g range but my understanding of gravity readings leads me to believe a 1.000 or less would indicate any fermentable sugar have been consumed by the yeast. I often see <1.000 on my FG so would that mean I have zero residual sugars and thus no carbs?

Thanks for any help!

bernardsmith

Reaction score
I would expect a 5 oz glass of wine to have about 150 calories. They will come from some residual sugar (water has an SG of 1.000 so a wine at about 12% ABV which has a gravity of 1.000 must have some sugar as alcohol is less dense than water) and from the alcohol. Is the issue then whether wine has calories or carbohydrates.

Yooper

Ale's What Cures You!
Staff member
Admin
Mod
Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
Alcohol IS a carb, but it's not counted the same way as sugar is in diet plans because alcohol is metabolized differently than simple sugars. It may have a carb count of, say, 4 grams, but the wine would be 0 on the glycemic load because of no sugar.