Does Red Star Côte des Blancs not make a Krausen?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NeverDie

Reaction score
Unlike other yeasts, I've never seen CdB make a Krausen. Is that the same experience as others here have had?

I've never used that strain in beer, so I find that very interesting. What do you get instead of a krausen?

Perhaps I'm using the wrong word (?), as I'm not using it for beer but rather for cider, cyser, and lemonade. I'm referring to the foamy top that happens toward the beginning of fermentation. Well, to answer your question, that doesn't really happen with CdB, at least not in my experience so far. It's certainly fermenting (as indicated by the air lock bubbling at a good pace), but it never gets to even one full layer of bubbles on top.

Contrasst that to Kveik, which does seem to foam a lot and produces a thick krausen (or whatever the right word is).

Krausen generally comes from proteins or other things that form it- many ciders don't have a speck of foam, but may have some air bubbles in it. Real fruit will form a "cap" as it breaks down and require some stirring, as it's the c02 being made that pushes it up- but that's not a true krausen either.

I re-checked the CdB datasheet and found that it says low amounts of foaming is one of its characteristics. So that, together with your feedback, confirms it.

Back