Does racking help to prevent bottle bombs?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brauscjm

Reaction score
had a bottle explode so hard last night it actually took out the bomber bottle next to it. wife wasn't happy when I charged the next room pistol in hand at 2am

so I know racking is not essential and I believe the reason my bottles blew up (2nd time , two different batches) is that I've not been accurately measuring corn sugar and think I may have used too much. (3/4 cup)

Whats weird is that some bottles are about to blow and others are carbonated perfectly. So I had a thought. some bottles that i fill last when i'm near the bottom of the bucket are getting more yeast than others, those combined with my idiotic lack of measuring could result in a bomb. So if I racked my beer into a secondary (decreasing the total amount of yeast) could that help prevent an explosion? Combine that with measuring my sugar better and maybe stirring during bottling more often?

You need to weigh your sugar. The amount of yeast has nothing to do with it. Using a measuring cup can wind up with different amounts if sugar due to packed or not size of sugar granules etc. Etc. Also make sure you are dissolving it in hot water add that to your bottling bucket and then rack the beer on top and stir gently to ensure even mix of beer and sugar.

Sent from somewhere to someone

Back