Does my recipe look ok?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Funkychef

Reaction score
Hello guys.

This is my 3rd all grain and just wondering if this looks ok?
im looking to cook it up this weekend

wheat (Witbier)

Original Gravity (OG): 1.044 (°P): 11.0
Final Gravity (FG): 1.011 (°P): 2.8
Alcohol (ABV): 4.32 %
Colour (SRM): 3.2 (EBC): 6.3
Bitterness (IBU): 15.7 (Average)

45% American 2-Row
45% Wheat Malt
5% Flaked Oats
5% Munich I

0.9 g/L Hallertau Mittlefrueh (6.3% Alpha) @ 60 Minutes (Boil)

0.3 g/L Chamomile @ 5 Minutes (Boil)
0.6 g/L Coriander Seed @ 5 Minutes (Boil)
0.9 g/L Orange Peel @ 5 Minutes (Boil)

Single step Infusion at 65°C for 75 Minutes. Boil for 60 Minutes

Fermented at 20°C with Safale K-97

Also a small question about the oats. they are quick oats that I use for my breakfast, do I need to roast them then boil it up sepperate then add it to the mash?

Thank you for any input

I don't think you need to roast the oats. I do know you shouldn't boil them.

Why a 75 minute mash? Just curious.

The recipe looks great. One thing is that yeast is slow to work. The krausen is known to stick around longer than normal. It won't floccuate high. In fact it says it's a low floccuating yeast. Your beer probably will finish around 1.010 which may be slightly sweeter. Not bad but not crisp I don't think. I've never used it but that's what I've read about it.

Just don't worry if it takes longer for the krausen to drop after fermentation is basically done.

Good luck. I like the additions you have.

For the 75 min Im going to start the mash at 50*c then after 15 min bring it up to 65*c for 60 min but not sure if I should do a mash out, by the way im doing BIAB.

The yeast was the only thing that I could get that was close to a wit yeast so it has to do!

Thanks for the input

Drink more coffee and do stupid things faster

Oh I don't think the yeast is a bad idea. I was just saying that it helps to know that it is low flocculating yeast and the krausen won't drop as quickly as other yeasts. So in other words, don't worry if that happens. It'll finish. For the mash, BIAB makes a lot more sense. I mash for 75 min and then mash out. I don't do step mashing though if I do, I'll do it with BIAB because I use a cooler as a mash tun for my traditional AG setup.

Thank you, as the yeast could leave my FG a bit high could I mash at a lower temp to make a more fermentable wort? or will the yeast consume only a certain percent and still leave a high FG
Sorry for the questions as I'm very new to brewing and trying to absorb all info to get a great ending product

Drink more coffee and do stupid things faster

Back