Does Lagunitas pasteurized their beer?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

z-bob

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I've sent them an email and they have not had time to respond, but some breweries don't answer questions (no idea whether they do or not) and somebody here might know. I'm wondering if the dregs from a can of their Hazy Wonder IPA would be worth culturing.

Just try culturing them. If nothing grows then you'll know they definitely pasteurize.

lol! Thrust on the horns of a dilemma :D

Of any "crafty" beers I've had in any recent context, their bottles pour bright to the end. For sure they don't bottle condition, so they're doing CO2 injection, likely in their packaging line, which does make flash pasteurization viable...

Cheers!

Most (larger) craft breweries actually centrifuge their beer from fermenter to Brite tank, mainly to quickly remove the yeast and any trub such as fine powder from dry hopping, etc.

I thought about that, but if something does grow I won't know if the culture was still good, or if my sanitation just sucks. :)
If it smells good then chances are it was the actual Lagunitas yeast. If it smells awful just dump it.

I just got an email from Lagunitas. They do not pasteurize their beers. I only had 2 cans of Hazy Wonder and I drank them both, but I think I saw some at Costco.

Back