Does everyone always break down your corney's or....

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk:

redneckbeagle

Reaction score
Does everyone break down their Corney's and clean and sanitize them each time?

or

Do you just run cleaner and sanitizer thru them and reuse?

drunkatuw

Reaction score
It's probably not advised,but I've been kegging for a year now (although I've only had most of my kegs for around 6 months), and I've only broken down one keg and that was because it needed some new o-rings.

After I empty a keg, I typically rinse it out with hot water, and then run about a gallon of BLC through my taps and then rinse with hot water followed by starsan and I leave the keg under pressure until I'm ready to fill it and then I give it another rinse with starsan.

GilaMinumBeer

Half-fast Prattlarian
Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
For me it depends on how long they have sat empty.

If I have just kicked the keg and am ready to fill it again I will usually give it a 10-15 minute hot soak with Oxi or PBW, pull the post to rinse it out, re-attach, fill. and move on.

Otherwise I tear it down, throw everything inside the keg and soak overnight. After that I will rinse, assemble, and air pressure test before I sanitize and fill.

I don't usually replace any rings unless it's a new-to-my-collection used keg or I have leaks.

Reaction score
Rarely!
I use HOT water and starsan through the lines...then I usually take the faucet apart and scrub it in some hot water with a brush.

IF I take a post apart...it's cause I'm rebuilding the whole thing...not just to clean.

bsay

Reaction score
Once I have the keg assembled and leak checked, I don't like to take it apart if I don't have to. Then I only have to worry about checking for leaks in the parts I move (the lid/pressure release for example).

If I ever repurpose my soda keg for homebrew, then I WOULD take it apart to clean it.

damrass

Reaction score
I prefer to disassemble completely after each use, but I'm just obsessive compulsive like that. :) I also take a part the quick disconnects and picnic taps for good measure.

Fett327

Reaction score
I disassemble after each beer as well. Just remove the posts and tubes and clean out all the o-rings. I put it all in some boiling water and then some idophor solution while i scrub the inside of the keg. Its not that much more work really.

Fingers

Reaction score
I take it apart as far as it can possibly go every time. Everything gets washed in Iodophor, lubed, and reassembled. The keg lube will keep your o-rings in good shape and you won't have any nasties hiding anywhere.

david_42

Reaction score
I clean and sanitize. Tear-downs are done only when I rebuild or if something gets plugged.

TheJadedDog

AFK ATM
Reaction score
I break mine down each time, it's just not all that difficult and I am a stickler for cleanliness around my brews. I'm sure you could get away with just running cleaner and sanitizer through though.

Latest posts