Does efficiancy equal quality?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bigskygreg

Reaction score
In other words, "if I get better efficiancy via biab, batch sparge, fly sparge, etc. can I expect better quality? Or just better efficiency? Thoughts?

It's much more important to have consistent efficiency than high efficiency. Then you always have the right amount of grain to hit your target gravity, even if you spend a few bucks more with lower efficiency. As long as its above 70-75% you should be happy. I'd take a consistent 75% over swings 80-95% any day of the week.

Higher efficiency = better economy of grains. quality is a whole other matter. IMHO, it is better to be consistent in efficiency so I can concentrate on improving the quality of the product.

Efficiency never equates to quality in any sense. They are two separate concepts.

In brewing, the contrary may be true. There are arguments that first runnings (i.e. no sparge) make for the best beer. Try a batch sometime. Brew a batch of your favorite recipe assuming ~60% brewhouse efficiency in your software and only collect the first runnings. Then compare that beer to your traditional brewing method.

In fact too high efficiency would make a poor quality beer with lots of mouth puckering tannins.

There used to be a lot of discussion related to the sparging method used and the efficiency and quality of the finished beer. I think that most people consider Fly and Batch Sparging close to equally efficient if done properly. No sparging is less efficient, but some say can yield a better finished beer.

That is still up in the air, but all are viable methods. Most people can reach 70%+ efficiency easily. Many people brew with over 80% efficiency and make great beer.

Personally, I think that once you hit above 70% regularly there isn't really a cost or quality reason to strive for higher. I think it's more important to get consistency and spend effort in other areas of brewing, like temp control, yeast health and management, etc. Efficiency is often used as a measuring stick for comparing the quality of a brewing rig or process. It has no bearing on the quality of the beer, except as k_mcarthur points out, there is reason to believe that reaching high 90s will yield up unwanted tannins.

My advice is to evaluate the actual process of the different sparge methods and choose one that you think will work for you the best. Efficiency should not be one of the considerations used to determine whether or not you use a certain method.

It's nice to be able to "squeeze" all that you can from grains. Kind of like the saying "closer to the bone, the sweeter the meat". But I'm in that 85+% efficiency group so take it as you mash.

Efficiency is often used as a measuring stick for comparing the quality of a brewing rig or process. It has no bearing on the quality of the beer, except as k_mcarthur points out, there is reason to believe that reaching high 90s will yield up unwanted tannins.

+1.

The only thing I'd add is that if you're seeing very low efficiencies (<60) it could mean there might be something wrong in your process. But I'm also in the camp that says if you're hovering around 70, then don't sweat it.

Consistency is the key, otherwise you'll never be able to consistantly reporduce the same beer. If your effeciency is slightly less, it can affect your OG, but as long as you let it attenuate further; you could technically reach the same goal. I'd rather have consistant effeciency over anything, that way I know I'm doing all the right things over and over, then tweek the minor details.

I chose my sparge method based on time and ease rather than extract efficiency. I do a single batch sparge without draining the mash tun first (I add the mash-out water on top of the mash and do one long drain to reach pre-boil volume). Mash & sparge together take less than 60 minutes and I consistently get 80% efficiency (75% for wheat beers and grain bills > 1.065 OG).

Back