Does DME Have Diastatic Power

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DrawTap88

Reaction score
Any help with this question would be very helpful. Does DME have diastatic power? In particular does Light DME or Wheat DME have the power to convert the starches of some specialty malts with DP of less than 35?

There exist malt extracts with diastatic power, but normally they do not and you would know if you had the exception.

Thank you all for the quick responses. I expected that it did not and you guys confirmed it.

I asked because I'm formulating recipies in my head for partial mash beers, and wanted to make sure that I don't screw them up before I even brew it. I was thinking of cutting out the high poundage of base malt and just mash the specialty stuff.

You want to mash before adding the DME anyway. Bring the wort from your partial mash up to a boil, then add your DME. Or even add it at the end of the boil. You only need enough base malt to get conversion, so it doesn't have to be that much in most recipes. The rest is replaced with extract.

You want to mash before adding the DME anyway. Bring the wort from your partial mash up to a boil, then add your DME. Or even add it at the end of the boil. You only need enough base malt to get conversion, so it doesn't have to be that much in most recipes. The rest is replaced with extract.

Got'cha. Thanks, ChshreCat. But since that's the case, I might as well just go AG and forget this PM stuff.

Got'cha. Thanks, ChshreCat. But since that's the case, I might as well just go AG and forget this PM stuff.

If you have the capability, go for it! Or maybe do a PM or two to work up to it and get the hang of mashing. I PM because I brew inside on the stove and don't have the ability to do a full boil. So, PM works well for me.

Perfect timing for this question!

If may add a further, related question to this: The DME that is available at my LHBS is specifically sold/labeled as non-diastatic. I have only used it as a primer in bottling but am wondering about adding it as a late extract in the boil or as a total substitute to the LME I usually use. I would love to get paler beers but don't think I can with the extract that is available to me.

Is using this type of DME going to work in a full boil and get me a fermentable wort? The LHBS owner says no, she hasn't had good success with it but I'm not totally sure. Maybe I'm missing something.

uhh what now im confused about using non diastatic dme. thats what im using with a small mini mash.im i using the wrong extract? i thought you could use dry or liquid and why is some non diastatic?

uhh what now im confused about using non diastatic dme. thats what im using with a small mini mash.im i using the wrong extract? i thought you could use dry or liquid and why is some non diastatic?

You mash should have some base malt that provides the diastatic power to convert your grains. Your not putting your extract in the mash, are you?

You want to do your mini mash just like an all grain batch, but smaller. Then add your extract to the boil.

actually bens home brew- on you tube for one gallon batches is where he stated this as a bit of a mini-mash. i pretty much used thatfor my first batch.your still extracting fermentable sugars with some grains along with color and flavor only partially. oh and no i dont add extract to the grains only the liquid after steeping.

Back