Does Diameter of the Kettle REALLY matter?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

frettfreak

Reaction score
So i am going to be buying a new kettle. Planning on stepping it up to a 14/15 gal but not planning on 10g batches yet (i know i will be in the future though so thats why 15g).

I have been reading a TON and researching, but am having a hard time picking the "right" kettle. I dont mind spending some money, but i am all about best bang for your buck. HOWEVER, in my research i have seen that the diameter of my pot may make a difference. For example, the MegaPots (and a couple others) make a deal out of the ratio 1.2 for diameter and height of the pot. the 15g megapot is about 16" diameter (so is the blichman), while some of the more "economy" kettles are closer to 18".

Is this really going to make a difference?

i am still on the fence with welded or weldless fittings, and honestly think either will work just fine so i am not basing much of my decision on this (though if all else is equal and i can get welded for a good deal, thats what i am going to do).

I have read a ton of thread on this site as to "which kettle to get" so i am not trying to turn this into another thread like that (though recommendations are always welcome). thanks!

No, minimal difference.

Obviously, in the extreme cases (extremely wide, but shallow or extremely narrow, but deep) there would be an appreciable difference.

Granted an 18" diameter has over 25% more surface area it will not prevent you from making great beer. Boil-off rate will be higher, but again it is not a problem.

At the volumes you are dealing with I wouldn't be worried about it. As the previous poster mentioned you will have a higher boil off rate with a larger surface area, but that can be accounted for. When you get into the multi barrel regime I could possibly see some stratification issues but even then I'd be skeptical.

Consider your heat source and efficiency. Using a pot with a larger diameter to height ratio I was not able to get 10+ gallons to a boil with a 3500 watt electric burner. The 15.5 gallon Bayou pot I'm now using has a 15.5 diameter and an 18" height and does the job.

Does the diameter matter, yes. HOWEVER I would say as long as it is reasonable, it will work, and is more about consistency.

Any ideas on how much more boil off rate? I cant imagine it being too much, and as stated, it can be accounted for in beersmith but just curious.

The other thing i wondered about the smaller diameter is that a few of them are marketed stating that it will help reduce off flavors. Now i am still fairly new to brewing, and dont think any of the "off" flavors i have had came from my kettle. Is this just marketing crap or something actually to it?

My LHBS has a 14 gallon kettle i can grab for $140 out the door. Its very similar, if not the same kettle, to this one and this one except it has just welded ports and i would have to buy a thermometer and ball valve to put in it. It has the 18" diameter but i figure when its all said and done, to have a stainless, welded, 14 gallon kettle for less than $200 seems like a decent deal.

I have decision constipation. I dont want to cheap out over $50 - $75. There are too many options!! lol

Back