Does Chicagoland need another LHBS?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rhoobarb

Reaction score
I posted this on the Chicago groups area, but thought I should post it here, too. The more I think about it, the more curious I get:

I got to talking with some buddies about the current economy and how we are all lucky to have fairly stable jobs. The question came up of what we would each do if we found ourselves unemployed. I said I'd probably open a homebrew supply and spend my remaining days and retirement running it. I might not get rich, but I'd sure be happy!

That got me to thinking... where to open one on the Chicago area? I'm thinking someplace in the burbs, near and/or just south of the Cubs/Sox line... in otherwords, I-88.

Call this a poor man's market study if you like, but where would you like to see a new shop open?

I live in the Lakeview/Lincoln Park area and the Brew and Grow isn't too far. However, their hours and unreliable inventory are a bit annoying at times. Somewhere in the near north side would be cool. You'd always have the college demographic with Loyola and Northwestern (where I work) as well as the trendy kids in my neighborhood who want to be cool and say they homebrew. (not me, I swear!)

Call this a poor man's market study if you like, but where would you like to see a new shop open?

I'd like one down the block from me, but I think you should put the shop where the money is at. Naperville / Lisle is on that corridor and there's money there so you may be able to move more upscale equipment than if you were in a less affluent area. The web will probably kill you on pricing - so you're going to have to offer excellent service to keep them coming back.

-OCD

I live in the Lakeview/Lincoln Park area and the Brew and Grow isn't too far. However, their hours and unreliable inventory are a bit annoying at times. Somewhere in the near north side would be cool. You'd always have the college demographic with Loyola and Northwestern (where I work) as well as the trendy kids in my neighborhood who want to be cool and say they homebrew. (not me, I swear!)

Second the Lincoln Park location, or somewhere next to a brown or red line station. I HATE Brew & Grow. They are disrespectful, and even lie to you about prices sometimes (btw, wtf is with their "these prices are out of date" price labels?). I would much rather pay 10-11 bucks for shipping, but would MUCH rather prefer a home brew store that cares.

Second the Lincoln Park location, or somewhere next to a brown or red line station. I HATE Brew & Grow. They are disrespectful, and even lie to you about prices sometimes (btw, wtf is with their "these prices are out of date" price labels?). I would much rather pay 10-11 bucks for shipping, but would MUCH rather prefer a home brew store that cares.

+1, especially on the disrespectful comment. Seriously, I'm glad someone else has had that experience.

Back at OU the Athens DIY shop was owned/operated by one of the nicest people, within or outside of the HB community, I've ever met. He puts the Brew and Grow people to shame...
:mug:

Hmmm... The wife & I were toying with the idea of moving to Wicker Park in a few years. What about there?

My main concern about Crook County is the tax situation and overall cost of doing business. Several of my company's clients in Cook (manufacturing companies) are looking at moving out towards the ex-urbs - Kendall and Lake counties, etc. Not to get all political, but Stroger is killing business there.

Since I live in Westmont, I think that a place in Downers Grove is a very viable option. It's off of 88, 355, and 55 so it would be easily accessible. Also, there's plenty of retail options in Downers Grove and they have a very active Chamber of Commerce.

Aurora (Brewer's Coop), St. Charles, Brookfield, Elmhurst (Chicagoland Winemakers) and maybe Bolingbrook? (Brew& Grow 2) have stores and it would fill in the gap.

Seems the south suburbs are lacking.

You trying to stir the pot up? We already got Cubs vs Sox going on, we gotta do it with beer now too? :p

I think the guys on the southside are pretty spread out IIRC from the Chicagoland group. Where would you put it on the south side, that would get a good deal of business?

-OCD

when i lived in blue island before i moved to michigan the only one that was around was onn 100th and western in fact i still go there when i go home to visit i dunno of any others i dont think it would hurt to have 1 or 2 more round

Wicker Park is a cool neighborhood to live in, but, IMHO, I would think that real estate/taxes would be astronomical and the target demographic may not be there. As a good location though, its not bad.

What about Evanston? Just out of the city...

I've only been to Brew and Grow once but they were very polite. I asked a lot of n00b questions and I didn't get any eye rolling :)

Even better if you could just get Heartland Cafe' to sell supplies. That would be ideal.

Not that it should be that specific location, but you might want to try out a co-tenancy deal with a related indusrty type place, ie a wine shop, good beer place, maybe a head/smoking supplies shop. I'll bet some of those places are hurting and would love to sublease some space. YOu could run-it part time with some funky hours to start then see how it goes.
If most homebrewers think like me, and have access to a car, if I heard about a new shop opening within 30-45min from me i would definately make the drive to check it out at least once, i would go back if the people were cool and offered good service and reasonable (doesn't have to be the best) prices.

My suggestion is right in Brookfield. Not that it would be of any convenience to me ;) From a business standpoint you could then organize a brew at the zoo and it would be an epic day.

On a side note is there any interest come summer for a brew at the zoo? I work there and would love to see it happen. If there is some interest I can contact some people and see how it would be received.

Wicker Park is a cool neighborhood to live in, but, IMHO, I would think that real estate/taxes would be astronomical and the target demographic may not be there.

I wouldn't think wicker park as a good area to start up a home brew store... everyone is so dam hip and "in the now" but maybe they'd all get into home brewing if there was a store nearby

I'd say LaGrange. Right in the Calendar Court area. LaGrange Road & The Burlington Tracks. Its a nice yuppie area.

Open a LHBS with all kinds of microbrews for sale.

I grew up in Brookfield & LaGrange so I'm partial to the area. :rockin:

I'm in the "S.E. burbs", and I'd love to see something out this way. I hit brew & grow on occasion, but like everyone else, can't really say much good about it. The tax base out here is cheap, too.

Naperville-Lisle area would be a HELL of a lot better than driving into downtown Aurora.

Driving around Chicagoland this weekend from Saint Charles, it seemed like your idea would be a perfect fit near the intersection of Butterfield/Naperville Roads in the Wheaton/Naperville area.

Now the random, crazy thought. I'm sure this isn't possible to some weird IL law or because of simple greed, but I always thought it would be awesome to hit something like Binny's and pick up my ingredients and style examples all in one trip. A Binny's-like entity could provide an established location and a knowledgeable clientele. The LHBS would provide beer fans, could run a vintage program/tasting classes, and staff the beer side with passionate employees, which might free up time and personnel to add to the wine and liquor side. I thought about this when I saw some 2007 North Coast Old Stock Ale sitting in the clearance bin...it was kind of like buried treasure and I just laughed knowing they probably could have marked it up slightly from the 2008 version. I probably thought way to much about this...oh well.

Patrick

I'd say LaGrange. Right in the Calendar Court area. LaGrange Road & The Burlington Tracks. Its a nice yuppie area.

Open a LHBS with all kinds of microbrews for sale.

I grew up in Brookfield & LaGrange so I'm partial to the area. :rockin:

I am from Western Springs (right off 294 and 55) so i know all about that area, the problem is that real estate prices are still so high (i am convinced that the housing / real estate market collapse has missed this section of cook county) that a homebrew shop could not afford the rent. A few guitar / music stores and other crafty stores have gone out of business for a bunch of new restaurants.

Now downtown Western Springs right by the new high end Wine / Liquor / one cooler of good beer store would be just about perfect...

Back