Does carbonation hold well in 2 L bottles?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

duganderson

Reaction score
I'm interested in getting a carbonation system with carb cap to make carbonated water for mixing with homemade soda syrups or syrups from extracts.

If the carb cap only fits on 2 L. bottles, does the carbonated water go flat if it is used a few times over a few days?

Do folks just add a little more carbonation after it has been opened a couple of times?

Are there smaller bottles (1.5 or 1 Liter) that have the same opening size as a 2 Liter bottle that would work with a carb cap?

Yes
Yes
Yes

I haven't found a 1L or 1.5L bottle that doesn't work with my Carbonator Cap. It also works on 24 oz. bottles. Haven't tried it on anything smaller.

Are there smaller bottles (1.5 or 1 Liter) that have the same opening size as a 2 Liter bottle that would work with a carb cap?

I've found the small 20oz soda bottles fit, as long as they're Pepsi, Dr. Pepper, 7-up, etc. The 20oz Coca-cola bottles with the "My Coke Rewards" caps do NOT fit the carbonator I have, although I haven't tried any of the larger ones.

Question.....for smaller bottles 1 liter or smaller, how do you carbonate them? When you remove the carbonator cap, how do you avoid losing all of the carbonation? How long after carbonating do you take off the cap?

fill with cold water and hit it with 30-50psi of gas

its basically the same thing as a soda bottle, if you drink some it doesnt go flat immediately

as long as it was cold you could drink immediately

also, if you really want to preserve the carbonation, you could always squeeze out the air and hit it with another blast of co2 to fill the headspace, this way it will never go flat

Should be like any other soda bottle you buy from the store. Once opened, they will loose carbonation after awhile.

Latest posts

Back