Does Briess Munich 10L malt need protein rest?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

interplexr

Reaction score
I'm starting to plan a schwarzbier recipe using roughly 50% Weyermann pilsner malt and 50% Briess munich 10L malt. There will be small portions of dehusked roasted barley along with some crystal, chocolate, and roasted barley.

I can't find any information about the pilsner malt. Is it fully modified? I'm trying to decide if I need a protein rest for the pilsner malt or if that much munich will cause me to need one.

Any help would be appreciated.

You will be fine without a protein rest, but you could still do one. Its optional.

I want to do one if it will improve the beer but I'm worried that it'll hurt my body and head retention if I do one and the malts don't require it due to their modification.

All it said was Weyermann Pilsner malt. I don't recall seeing anything other than that. I guess I can cut some grain and look at the acrospire to tell how modified it is since I don't have a malt analysis I think.

Back