Does Bottle Color Matter?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Milkdud76

Reaction score
Does bottle color (amber,green or clear) matter, depending on the type of beer your bottling? I'll be bottling an American Lager in a few weeks and wondering about this. It will be my first bottling of a light beer.

Thanks

No, all beers with hops in them will skunk in clear or green bottles. So, unless they will never see the sun, use brown.

Color does not matter as long as you keep them stored in a dark spot out of the sunlight etc.

Depends on how much sunlight they will get. If they will be kept in the dark then I don't think it would matter at all. If the are going to it in sun light some of the time then amber is the way to go. Even then you want to limit the sun light as much as possible.

Thanks. I plan on keeping them in the fridge, and drinking ASAP. I'm not a fan of letting beer sit in the sun and get warm, so i'll have no problems with that.

I've used just about every color/type of bottle I could find. It doesn't matter. I like some of my Belgians highly carbed 3.5-4 range and found that the clear Coca Cola bottles are much thicker and can hold a much higher pressure compared to most beer bottles. They are clear but no issues with them as long as I keep them out of light.

beerloaf

I would use dark bottles juuussstt to be safe... It would suck to lose a good beer to the fact it was exposed to to much UV light :(

It's not just sunlight that degrades the quality of beer. Florescent and incandescent lights also can damage. At the beer store, if they don't have a lot of turn around, buy the one toward the back of the shelf in the shadows.

This is why hobos drink out of paper bags. They want the best quality up until the last drop.

Same with any homeless drunkards,they hide their top shelf in that bag too so as to fool everybody thinking its cheap and to ward of preditors giving them the eye:cross:
I just hide mine in a closet/basement or fridge till ready to drink.The boxes i hide them in ward off the boogyman/trolls/and other monsters under my bed.:confused::p

Important to have brown bottles, an IPA in a clear glass in your backyard bbq'ing will skunk in minutes

I have clear and green bottles mixed in here and there. I keep all of my beer in dark closets or in boxes, so I never have problems with skunking. I don't put bottles in the sun, so I don't have any concerns about it... Once I put a bottle in my fridge, it doesn't stay there for long ;)

minutes???
really?

Yup. Really.

The truth is that cans are the best for beer since light (one of beer’s worst enemies) cannot penetrate them. If you must have glass, brown is best. Brown bottles do the best at blocking out direct and ultraviolet light (yes, that is ultraviolet light coming from almost all the cold box cooler bulbs) which can skunk beer in clear and green bottles in a matter of minutes.

http://www.gmdist.com/2012/02/29/why-is-beer-packaged-in-different-colored-bottles-some-green-some-brown-some-clear/

Was just the first thing that Google pulled up. Honestly, if "Brent the General Sales Manager" is willing to say it and is still trying to sell beer in different colored bottles, I'd believe that over the next schmuck on the street.

Apart from that, there's only several hundred other sources online that would support him. ;)

I'll look forward to seeing that list of several hundred more experts like Brent confirming that beer can skunk in "minutes." No doubt all supported by experimental evidence where people identified a difference in flavour after "minutes" of exposure to light in a clear bottle.

I guess "minutes" isn't very specific--5 million minutes is a long time for beer to sit in the sun.

though my dwelling is a bit cavernous, i'd better get some brown tinted drinking glasses, throw out all those grolsch bottles i've been drinking skunked brew out of for years, and start drinking a whole lot faster! i am now more scared of light than the old timey vampires- before that edward and his bedroom eyes dreamily came along...

Honestly I can't believe if you take care of your beer you will be able to destroy it in minutes. In fact I've drank plenty of beer in green and clear bottles that literally sat out in direct sun light all day and still tasted fresh. So even though I've left the Ice chest open and exposed the beers nothing happened...I'm pretty sure if I actually take care of what im brewing it won't matter what color bottles I use

Maybe Brent the general managers' opinion doesn't rate any respect but how about Charles Bamforth, PhD, the head of the brewing sciences program at U.C Davis.

Isohumulones, the bitter compounds in hops used in beer, are very sensitive to natural light (artificial light affects them, too, but not nearly as fast). “If light reaches them, they break down very quickly and react with traces of sulfur compounds in the beer,” says Charles Bamforth, chair of the Food Science and Technology Department at the University of California–Davis and a top researcher in brewing science. This process produces MBT (3-methyl-2-butene-1-thiol), which not only smells like skunk, it’s also chemically very similar to the noxious compound in a skunk’s spray. And it’s potent. Some people can detect MBT at concentrations as low as one-billionth of a gram in a 12-ounce beer.

Cans offer the best protection against damaging light waves, and brown bottles rate a close second. “If you have really strong light for a very long time, then even in brown glass, the beer goes skunky,” says Bamforth. “But in a clear glass or a green glass, it’ll happen very, very quickly”—as in a matter of seconds, not hours. Pilsners, traditionally bottled in green glass, are very susceptible to skunking.

Maybe Brent the general managers' opinion doesn't rate any respect but how about Charles Bamforth, PhD, the head of the brewing sciences program at U.C Davis.

Isohumulones, the bitter compounds in hops used in beer, are very sensitive to natural light (artificial light affects them, too, but not nearly as fast). “If light reaches them, they break down very quickly and react with traces of sulfur compounds in the beer,” says Charles Bamforth, chair of the Food Science and Technology Department at the University of California–Davis and a top researcher in brewing science. This process produces MBT (3-methyl-2-butene-1-thiol), which not only smells like skunk, it’s also chemically very similar to the noxious compound in a skunk’s spray. And it’s potent. Some people can detect MBT at concentrations as low as one-billionth of a gram in a 12-ounce beer.

Cans offer the best protection against damaging light waves, and brown bottles rate a close second. “If you have really strong light for a very long time, then even in brown glass, the beer goes skunky,” says Bamforth. “But in a clear glass or a green glass, it’ll happen very, very quickly”—as in a matter of seconds, not hours. Pilsners, traditionally bottled in green glass, are very susceptible to skunking.

Here's the link for anyone who might be interested: http://www.chow.com/food-news/53966/how-does-a-beer-get-skunky/

Doesn't appear that Bamforth himself said "seconds, not hours", that was the interpretation of the article's author. Nobody is disputing that brown glass is better than green or clear. But the drama queen-esque hysterics over bottle colour in this thread are getting overblown. Next time I'm having a beer on a patio I'll demand that the server bring me only beer in cans--after all, the beer will skunk "in seconds" if exposed to light...meanwhile can anyone Google up a story that asserts beer can skunk "in a fraction of a second?" Or maybe "in milliseconds?"

I don't buy the skunking in minute theory...simply because I usually by Becks and put it on my porch in an ice bucket when I mow my yard...even hours later they are fine. And if it skunks in minutes, that means that no one should drink beer during the day out of a pint glass

Bottle with whatever as most here posted, keep it out of the light for good measure but don't let the skunking boogeyman get you paranoid.

I guess it also depends on how sensitive your palate is. Does he mean "totally skunked" in a matter of seconds or "begins to skunk"? When I take my beer outta the fridge and pour it into a clean, clear glass, I notice it tastes better after a few minutes of warming up. Not skunkier. I could be blessed with a less sensitive palate though. My loss.... :D

The answer is yes, and no. While brown bottle offer the most protection from sunlight it really doesn't take much to skunk a beer. I think I read it in an issue of Brew Your Own but a well hopped beer will skunk in direct sunlight in minutes. If you don't want your beer to skunk you would have to use hop extract. That is what the big boys(BMC) use. Either that or avoid sunlight like a ginger.

The answer is yes, and no. While brown bottle offer the most protection from sunlight it really doesn't take much to skunk a beer. I think I read it in an issue of Brew Your Own but a well hopped beer will skunk in direct sunlight in minutes. If you don't want your beer to skunk you would have to use hop extract. That is what the big boys(BMC) use. Either that or avoid sunlight like a ginger.
what about daywalkers? this lambic i have says best before 03/25/2030. what were they thinking - a green bottle? it's already ruined from me holding it up to the light to read when it will be ruined by.

Back