Does beer go bad?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kfgolfer

Reaction score
I made a batch of beer about 6 months ago and kegged it. Its been in my fridge under CO2 the whole time. Is it still good to drink? or is it too old at this point?

Between the hops, the alcohol, and the low temperature, I'd say your beer will stay good a lot longer than that. Providing of course, it was kegged under sanitary conditions and has remained sealed.

I bet it's spectacular after six months of cold conditioning!

Six months is nothing to a well kegged beer. Do not listen to BMC commercials that say that young beer is better. It was made up by an advertising guy who knows nothing about brewing beer. :)

Actually, the beer is probably at its best right now. I have a beer from June that is crystal clear and beautiful. Unfortunately most beers are long gone well before they hit their prime.

What about in the bottle? Is it a similar time frame? I've been drinking an Octoberfest and it has a date on it for Jan/08..

Does it taste good? If it does it's good. if it doesn't it is no good. Nothing harmful to people can grow in beer, so if it is bad and you taste you won't die (unless you choke on the skunky beer ;) but other than that if it is good, drink it. :)

I bottled a Holiday Ale for this x-mas but I'd like to keep some for next year.

What's the best way to store? When I put the others in the fridge in 2 weeks, should I put them all in? Or leave a six pack out until next year?

Thanks.

There is a difference between most commercial brews that are filtered and forced carbonated before bottling and a keg or bottle conditioned home brew. The home brew contains live yeast that utilize the little bit of O2 that gets into the keg or bottle before being sealed. This allows the home brew (and bottle conditioned commercial beers) to age more gracefully. In addition you beer has been store under ideal conditions unlike that BMC that was trucked then stacked in the back room next to the heater/A/C for a while.
At 6 months a moderate beer is peaking, a high gravity beer is just starting to get good.
The moderate beer will likely be good for a year or more after bottling. The high gravity beer can last for years.

Craig

Thanks everyone... I'm actually going to go try it right now... I'll let you know how I made out!!

WOW !!!! It friggin tastes awesome :ban: for many reasons, my wife's health for one, I haven't been able to drink it for so long, I forgot about it...It tastes better than I could have imagined... hopefully the wife is on the road to recovery and I can get back to making beer again!! Thanks for everyone's help...:rockin:

Latest posts

Back