Does anyone use chamomile tea in their ciders?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sleepy_D

Reaction score
I know people use various teas to add tannin and flavor to their ciders, does anyone use chamomile for this purpose?

Chamomile tea is generally just the dried flowers, which as far as I know don’t contain many appreciable tannins. If you want strong tannins I would stick to black tea (i.e. leaves from Camellia sinensis).

Chamomile would be an interesting flavour but doesn’t immediately strike me as something that would go well in a cider. I’d be curious to see if it works out.

Chamomile tea is generally just the dried flowers, which as far as I know don’t contain many appreciable tannins. If you want strong tannins I would stick to black tea (i.e. leaves from Camellia sinensis).

Chamomile would be an interesting flavour but doesn’t immediately strike me as something that would go well in a cider. I’d be curious to see if it works out.
The only reason I was considering it is because I’m building a Belgian white cider recipe in my mind. I recently discovered that some people add chamomile to their Belgian witbiers and swear it’s a secret ingredient. Since I knew people used some teas in their ciders I figured I’d ask if anyone used chamomile before

Ah yes I see. It does sound like it would work well with coriander and citrus as you’ve mentioned in the other thread. Definitely worth a try.

Back